Bifold door won't stay closed.

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by swimmer_spe, Jan 19, 2018.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. Dec 21, 2018 #21

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

It might be easier to do with a saw.
    You can also get there by putting a space between the doors when you put the hinges on. 1/16"

2. Dec 21, 2018 #22

Brian Lim

Brian Lim

Brian Lim

Okay, thank you. I understand that I have to cut the closing side (the opposite of the hinge pin side) so that it closes 2 degrees more than the flat 180 degree .

3. Dec 21, 2018 #23

Brian Lim

Brian Lim

Brian Lim

My table saw is a basic one, so using the saw to cut the edge of the other side of hinge pin won't be easy.
    Would it help to make the hinge pin side opening wider by leaving a bigger space between the hinge pin and the door edge.
    In other words, instead of making the opposite side of the hinge pin narrower by cutting the edge, would it have the same effect to make the hinge pin side opening wider by leaving a 1/16" space between the edge and hinge pin?

4. Dec 21, 2018 #24

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

You would remove hardware before cutting. Yes a space between the doors should work just use a spacer and use the same spacer for all the hinges.
    If you have screw holes already they will give you trouble, you may want to move the hinge just a little so you make new holes.