Boiling heads........

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Administrator
Reaction score
That sounds weird doesn't it?

So I have recently taken up a new hobby that goes along with hunting, I have been boiling the heads of the animals I kill for european mounts.

What do you think?

Here is the deer I shot this year, soon I will get a nice piece of wood to mount it on and find a way to mount the shell that I used as well.

View attachment IMG_20121120_152740.jpg

I like euro mounts, thats what my son in law is doing to the one he shot last week end. And a lot cheaper than a trip to the taxidermist.

At first I thought you were going to be talking about some new rock band. :rockin:

I bought the Buck Boiler which is pretty much a three gallon bucket with a heater in it. Works pretty well. Only downfall is they claim it only takes 8 hours but really takes a couple days.

Sounds like something I need to try, cause I love to pi$$ both of them off.

It smells bad but doesn't travel far. I have a couple pig heads in there now and a rabbit and squirrel going in.

Had a country friend that wanted to clean the skull from a burro that had just passed (was a family pet for 30 years). He buried near an ant hill (dont' know how long) came out really clean! Said he buried it to keep the scavengers from pulling it apart and carting it off.

I have heard burying them works well, especially with little critters around. I just like to get it done in a couple days. I did a couple pig heads this week.

6638d1354482078-deer-forumrunner_20121202_130122.jpg

6639d1354482106-deer-forumrunner_20121202_130149.jpg

That is pretty neat. Do you harvest the heads yourself?

I do, They are either from my hunting experiences or if I find one while hunting.

I found a coyote skull last weekend I brought home to add to my collection of heads.

Pics?.......

Tomorrow, it is still in my truck and I am lazy.

Tomorrow was actually a few days ago.

I bought the buck boiler, it is a plastic bucket just bigger than a deer skull and it has its own heating element. It was cheap and all you do is plug it in and wait.

Back