bottom of shower door catches floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qmqmqm

Reaction score
Hi there.

When I try to close the shower door, it catches the floor. I think the problem is likely due to people repeatedly pushing down on the door handle when accessing the shower. Any advice on how to fix the issue? I have enclosed pictures showing the entire door assembly and the hinge.

A method I found online says to close the door and jam something (e.g. a few credit cards) in the gap between the door and the glass pane on the left. However, since the glass pane on the left will move, I don't think this method will help.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Paul

glass shower door.jpg
door hinge.jpg

The rubber seal at the door bottom might just be getting stiff.

See if you can adjust the door in the hinges, by loosening them, then push the door tighter against the top hinge, towards the wall.
That will raise the bottom edge.

Of course you need to support the door while the hinges are not squeezing tight against it.

How large is the gap between the door and left hand glass panel?
The hinges may have just enough "play" in them to raise the front edge. Remove all the silicon caulk and shim the bottom snugly before loosing the screws slowly. You may just need a 1/16" to clear the tile. Try raising the door first, using wooden or plastic shims (available at any big box lumber section) then retightening screws. If that's not enough, try shimming the bottom away from the wall. That will raise the other edge.

Take your time and good luck .

Those hinges are not adjustable, and are known to sag from the weight. Do yourself a favor and call your shower installer back. In a 10 minute replacement, he will get your door running perfect. Ask me how I know!

Thanks for your kind suggestions everyone.

To answer your question Johnboy555, the gap between the door and the left hand glass panel is barely enough to jam in a couple of credit cards. In fact, the top of the door touches that glass panel.

I bought this house as a resale, so unfortunately no way to know who the shower installer is. Sounds like a handyman contractor can fix this problem easily?

Cheers,

Paul

Any glass shower installer can do the work. Since it is tempered glass, one tweak incorrectly, and you will be replacing that very fragile door.

Back