Brand new furnace not working

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ex0r

Reaction score
My parents just finished getting their new house (double wide modular) built after suffering from a house fire. It's starting to get colder, so they attempted to turn in the furnace. To their surprise, it doesn't work.

It goes through the cycle, it lights, and sometimes it'll stay running for a few minutes, sometimes for only a few seconds, and immediately turns right back off. We've watched the cycle and it's in fact lighting and all burner chambers are igniting. It just immediately turns right back off. The blower turns on after the flame goes out, so it's not entirely shutting down the system.

It's an electric ignition with a single stage gas valve.

Gas is getting to the unit and all the other gas appliances in the home work.

While it's doing it, the gas valve clicks continually in and off until it finally turns off and had to be reset.

No diagnostics lights, and according to the manual the lights that are on it indicate normal operation. There's an orange flame light that comes on and stays on when it's ignited, but it turns off as soon as the burners stop even with the blower still running.

This is a brand new furnace (and home) and the installers and mobile home manufacturers are giving them the run around with repairing it, and the local hvac installers won't touch it because of the "warranty" on it, and want my parents to pay full price up front for the diagnostics and repair before doing any of the warranty work. It's getting cold, they are both retired and disabled, and need to get heat into their house soon before it gets to freezing weather.

We thought maybe it was the flame sensor because it does actually ignite for however long, so we ordered the replacement part since it was only 7$, but it didn't fix it.

It's an intertherm m7r mobile home furnace.

Any advice would be appreciated. We understand the danger of working on furnaces, and I'm more than capable of dealing with electrical diagnostics as far as reading values with oh meters etc as long as I'm guided in the right direction to what I'm looking for. Not looking to do any unsafe stuff like disassembling the gas valve etc but want to do as much testing as possible to try and save them some money before needing to fork over hundreds die something that should be covered by a warranty.

Last edited:
Is the gas source natural gas from a gas supplier or propane from a tank on the property?

Was the system ever tested by the builder and it worked properly? It should have been. Do they also have gas to hot water and kitchen stove and they both work?

Could it just be you haven’t purged all the air from the incoming line?

I’m not a pro just thinking of what the pros might need to know.

It seems like the problem should go back to the seller / builder/ installer as it is new. You may need to get a lawyer involved.

I agree that the installer/builder needs to fix it, however there's an immediate need to resolve the issue before it's freezing out and can't wait 6-12+ months for litigation, so need to do something now until that process can be completed.

The only other gas appliances they have are the stove and they use it daily. It's also further down the line than the furnace is. When the gas was first hooked up, we tested the furnace by letting it run for about 30-45 mins without any issues. We turned it back off after that as it wasn't needed.

Now that it's needed, this is the result.

Whats puzzling is why the gas valve is continuing to click even for the short time that the furnace is on and burning (after its ignited) and the fact that the blower continues to run even after the flame has gone out, and continues to run until we turn the unit off.

Is the gas valve clicking or the igniter clicking after it lights. They need verification that the burner is lit and it sounds like that’s not happening. That sounds like the flame sensor that you replaced already. Maybe what is reading the flame sensor is not getting the message. I have no idea how that circuit works I would guess the flame sensor signals a circuit card that it is properly working and allows the gas flow to continue. There is likely a timer that gets started that allow a time for the sensor to heat up and if it doesn’t it then turns off the gas and runs the fan to clear out any gas in the unit.

Again I’m just guessing as you are. They also have a switch that gets tripped by the fan running that takes the combustion gas out and if that is stuck it will shut off the gas. I have tapped on them and seen the furnace stay lit when they go bad. That switch has a small tube running to it from the fan.

It doesn't use an igniter, it has a rod that heats up. It's the valve that's clicking, you can feel it and hear it when you are close to it. It's also bizarre sometimes it will stay lit for 2-3 mins other times it will go immediately out.

According to the manual, it heats up to rod for about 10 seconds, then opens the gas valve. If the flame sensor detects a flame, it turns the blower on 30 seconds later and lights the orange FLAME led. The light is coming on, indicating the sensor is picking up a flame, then turns off after a random time.

At this point, I'm feeling like the control board is bad, which is ridiculous considering this is a brand new unit and shouldn't have any failed components.

It well could be the control board. There is no rhyme or reason when it comes to electronics and it is most likely expensive and non returnable.

Sounds like it is doing all the steps properly and something is then telling it to shut down. I have no idea if there is a work around as in a test where you can step in and jumper or fake a signal to test the board.

There are a few furnace guys on the forum but so far they haven’t stopped in.

If the problem is the control board, then it the warranty should be the way to do, especially because any additional stuff you do could be used by them as an excuse to avoid repairing it.
That said, this is critical element for habitability of the house, so maybe threaten them with having to stay at a hotel and send them the bill. They should have insurance and these are the kind of things that is for. Talk to a lawyer, the threat coming from a lawyer should get them singing along.

Good news! They got it resolved today. The original 'professional installers' installed the drain hoses backwards and the breather line was kinked. We are not too happy. For the price they paid for this home, there should have been a lot better quality assurance done.

We've gotten in contact with a lawyer as well as the manufacturer to get this resolved.

Thanks guys!

Jim, this is an OLD thread... and problem solved months ago...

Latest posts

Back