Broken doors

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau81

Reaction score
My garage door won't hold it's position unless it's all the way open or all the way closed. What can I do to fix this problem?

There is probably just a piece missing. I don't think it should be too hard to get fixed or too expensive.

I've never had a garage door that held its position anywhere other than open or closed? The springs don't really work that way... if the door is closed enough the weight of the door exceeds the spring tension, the door will close... if the door is raised enough the weight is less than the spring tension, the door will open... can't really balance it anywhere inbetween.

--Bushytails

I've never had a garage door that held its position anywhere other than open or closed? The springs don't really work that way... if the door is closed enough the weight of the door exceeds the spring tension, the door will close... if the door is raised enough the weight is less than the spring tension, the door will open... can't really balance it anywhere inbetween.

--Bushytails
True unless the door is on a garage door opener.

Yes, it is attached to an automatic garage door opener.

Back