Brown ooze on stucco siding

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by jackcard2000, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Apr 24, 2011 #1

jackcard2000

jackcard2000

jackcard2000

I've got this dark brown ooze coming out from behind the stucco (through the weep screen I believe) and visible in some of the cracks. This is only visible on the extreior of the first floor (2nd floor exterior looks fine). What concerns me most is this same brown ooze is showing up on the interior wall of the same side of the house. The ooze is coming out of a return air duct.

Any thoughts?

2. Apr 24, 2011 #2

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Could you post a picture of the area?

3. Apr 24, 2011 #3

joecaption

joecaption

joecaption

There's nothing I can think of in a Stuccoed wall constrution that would make brown ooze so it must be mold or insect infestation. I think I would be opening up the inside wall covering in that area to see what's causing it.
    One bug that comes to mind is the lady bug. In the fall they swarm and try to find a warm place to live for the winter. I've seen them many times behind vinyl siding and knew they were there because of the brown stuff running out the weep holes.
    Boring bees also leave behind a brown stucky liquid.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  4. Apr 24, 2011 #4

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Joe, I was thinking metal lathe rusting and bleeding through. What do you think?