Quantcast

Can I build an ADU?

Help Support House Repair Talk:

Sparky617

Reaction score
Sparkey 617, In CA the most important factor in footing design is expansive clay content of soil. Frost depth would exceed normal footing depths only at high elevations. South Lake Tahoe requires exterior footing be minimum 18" deep due to frost - which is minimum Building Code depth unless designed by an engineer.
Given the elevation and snow I'm surprised South Lake Tahoe only requires 18" footings. Given the cold temperatures I would have expected a lot deeper footings would be required. We have expansive clay here in NC, our footings in the Piedmont section of the state are only 18", we're pretty mild temperature wise here with waterlines only buried a foot or so. Long freezes are rare here. Out in the mountains in western NC footings need to be deeper. Basements are rare here due to the heavy, expansive clay soils. I have one, but in my 21 year old neighborhood probably less than 10% of the homes have basements, many have "crawlspaces that are nearly high enough for a basement due to the topography of our area.

As to the politics, not really see much on this thread. Some general kvetching about local governments but not really political.

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Maybe I am in the minority but I always thought ADU was just a catch-all term that covers granny flats, in-law units, backyard cottages, secondary units or whatever else they might be called. His question was not about how or why zoning might or might not allow ADUs, it was about what he needed to do to go about building one. Brining politics into this seems a case of a political hammer seeing everything as a nail.
I agree. I actually googled UDU when the thread popped up and then again when I found out it was ADU. There was quite a bit of information and it sounded like it could be anything from a normal house addition that of course would be built like a house to the other extreme of sneaking someone into a garage loft or some kind of yard building/tiny house where you skirt around code by not having it a permanent structure on a foundation. It also seemed that some areas of the country are condoning this practice as a way of increasing housing.

I knew a guy that built a 50x100 pole barn and then in the middle of the night he pulled a 70’ trailer in set up house. He got away with it for about 5 years until he did battle with some of the township supervisors and they booted him out. He wasn’t hurting anyone but he also wasn’t allowed to do it according to the rules.

If I was allowed to build a bunch of little boxes in my back yard and rent them out for top dollar I would do it to. It is only zoning and the political nature of zoning that stops me.

Trust me I grew up in the day when a guy could build his own house after he went and paid 5 bucks for a building permit. Then build what you like. Back in the 50-60s they built really nice homes because that what everyone wanted.

I’m sorry if some of our posts came across as political in nature. I just found it interesting that there was some new name at least to me for this type of thing.

I guess my answer for the OP is build it just like you build a house.

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Given the elevation and snow I'm surprised South Lake Tahoe only requires 18" footings. Given the cold temperatures I would have expected a lot deeper footings would be required. We have expansive clay here in NC, our footings in the Piedmont section of the state are only 18", we're pretty mild temperature wise here with waterlines only buried a foot or so. Long freezes are rare here. Out in the mountains in western NC footings need to be deeper. Basements are rare here due to the heavy, expansive clay soils. I have one, but in my 21 year old neighborhood probably less than 10% of the homes have basements, many have "crawlspaces that are nearly high enough for a basement due to the topography of our area.

As to the politics, not really see much on this thread. Some general kvetching about local governments but not really political.
48" here and sometimes that's not deep enough.

Tedy

Reaction score
Joined this forum just to see how you understand if you can build an UDU on your land - do you use any tools to do that or do you hire someone to do that for you?
in my opinion such questions should be resolved with the state or special organizations. я всегда обращался и мне помогали.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
я всегда обращался и мне помогали = I've always asked and have been helped?

Spreken Ze Doitch?