Can someone help me identify this box

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does look like a Mac.

There would have to be some part numbers or stamping someplace to identify the manufacturer. Some companies build boxes for many sales locations which end up mostly with stick on identification.
When Mac, Snap On. and a few large tool suppliers started to price their cabinets at out of this world values many small companies imitated their features.
A small manufacturer locally bought a machine that takes different size flat stock material , folds , bends, and completes a drawer in one operation. It is really interesting to watch the double folds and completed drawer leave on an elevator. The automated process's produce spectacular results with close tolerance precision.
I have a Sears and a Snap On box. Roller bearing slides they both work great with one at 25% of the brand name value. Competition is very strong in this area. Financing often times determines the winner.

Mac makes their boxes in a bunch of colors anymore, so you can't go by that. Snap-on used to be red only, many years ago. I don't know anymore. Like stingray said, check the slides to see how they are made. And look at the bottom side of the drawers, some have a sticker under them.

I have looked behind and below every drawer and cant find any name or number. I thought the handle trim was fairly unique being rounded

The handle is what steers me away from being a Mac. Those were purchased afterwards at a hardware store.

If an emblem was removed there must be a reason as they don't fall off, routinely. One of mine has a Corvette emblem from a friends new 76. Apparently didn't like the placement. The car ran just as good without it and it wasn't rebranded a Ferrari.
Whatever makes one feel adequate , if it needs a brand, title, or designation, pick one and go with it. A tool box simplly organizes custom pieces of steel, plastic, and wood . The storage unit does not make one a mechanic, fabricator, or genius. Presence of the " jewelry box " can create an aura of professionalism. Its the real purpose some of them decorate garages where showmanship overwhelms a dedicated purpose.

View attachment images.jpeg

Back