Carpet becomes wet whenever it rains heavily

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWblue

Reaction score
Whenever there is heavy rain a carpet area next to the outside of our home becomes wet.

Is this mold? Is this something to be concerned about? How can we prevent this from happening?

carpet.jpg

Yes, that is mold.

Yes it is something to be concerned about. The water is likely rotting away the wood behind the wall, and the subfloor.

Lots of possible sources. If that is not a basement, most likely either you are on a slab and the dirt outside is too high, or a leak in the roof and water runs down the rafters and into the wall.

Yes, that is mold.

Yes it is something to be concerned about. The water is likely rotting away the wood behind the wall, and the subfloor.

Lots of possible sources. If that is not a basement, most likely either you are on a slab and the dirt outside is too high, or a leak in the roof and water runs down the rafters and into the wall.

Thank you. I am calling a mold remediation company today.

The pipes have been removed from the slabs to attic so that is not the cause.

Didn't think of roof so will be calling a roof repair company as well. Is the first thing to do before any mold is cleaned up is to find out the cause?

If the roof is leaking would there be water damage on the walls?

You can clean up the mold yourself. Any hardware store will have Concrobium. Comet might be good at removing the stains from the carpet.

But you have to find and fix the source of the water.

I have no idea how long its been leaking, or how much water has entered, so my guess of damage is of no value.

You may wish to climb into the attic and see if you can find signs of water entry. Might not be obvious.

I
You can clean up the mold yourself. Any hardware store will have Concrobium. Comet might be good at removing the stains from the carpet.

But you have to find and fix the source of the water.

I have no idea how long its been leaking, or how much water has entered, so my guess of damage is of no value.

You may wish to climb into the attic and see if you can find signs of water entry. Might not be obvious.

I read undiluted distilled white vinegar will clean up mold. Is that true?

Back