Carpet with hardwood in front of door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

house92

Reaction score
When putting carpet in a room, if a small, square area of hardwood is left in front of the entry door, does that have any bearing on the future quality of the carpet? Someone told me that areas like that were more difficult to get a stretch to remain tight and that the carpet might be more likely to wrinkle as time goes by as opposed to laying it wall to wall.

Also, what is a good quality carpet. Not something that would go in a mansion, but just good quality for an average Joe like me? Is Berber a good type?

Pay attention to the thread count, the higher the better and it follows throughout the lay.

Nylon is usually better than polyester. Berber carpets aren't as durable as they used to be, and the loops can catch in the claws of pets. Thread count is usually referred to as "face weight" or something similar, and the higher the face weight, the thicker the carpet will feel.

If the carpet is powerstretched, there is no reason for a problem near the entry. I have installed since 1973 and if you had a problem, it would be installer error.

If the carpet is installed on top of the hardwood, and the edge and tack strip is exposed to traffic (like being kicked) then I suppose it could get a little loose. But it shouldn't be installed that way.

If the carpet is installed on top of the hardwood, and the edge and tack strip is exposed to traffic (like being kicked) then I suppose it could get a little loose. But it shouldn't be installed that way.
Wrong way to install it. Need either metal or a trac-strip around the edges. Carpet tackstrip should NEVER be installed across any opening.

Latest posts

Back