Chris' BBQ/Bar build

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bars looking really nice Chris, nice touch with the lights.

Just curious. Was your idea of gutting the clamp on lights cheaper than purchasing ready made industrial look drop lights?

It cost me about 26 bucks to make that three light fixture not including paint, I had that. Then the other two were 7 bucks each and a hook to hang them on.

Took me a couple hours to build. I just could not find anything with the right width and the right drop to work how I wanted.

WOW Chris---That bar looks incredible! Nice job:D

It's getting there. Hopefully in the next couple weeks it will have a beer tap or two.

Yes! Been working on it for a little over three years now. Little by little.

Yes! Been working on it for a little over three years now. Little by little.

A home and all that goes with it is a journey, not a destination.

Mine started in December 1986 when the slab was poured and they delivered the framing package. Home built as an owner builder, I was in for a long term relationship.

Your bar gave me an idea for our backsplash Chris.

View attachment Jan 2013 Tile 075.jpg

Thats a good looking back splash.

I added a few beer taps a couple weeks ago to my bar.

3295d1359166451-beer-brewing-thread-forumrunner_20130125_181419.jpg

3296d1359166467-beer-brewing-thread-forumrunner_20130125_181435.jpg

COOL CHRIS, COOL. I bet you can draw a crowd if not careful here.

I will find a pic to post after it was grouted and finshed with the 1 x 2 slate tiles.

It does looks like little bricks and gives a kind of old wall look.

COOL CHRIS, COOL. I bet you can draw a crowd if not careful here.

I will find a pic to post after it was grouted and finshed with the 1 x 2 slate tiles.

It does looks like little bricks and gives a kind of old wall look.

It looks like those little tiles may have been a bugger to grout?

Havasu you can say that again. It was the biggest part of the whole job.
We were without grand kids for a while after Christmas and I did the work
between watching football games.

Each tile is different as they are real slate. This was my first time doing
tile work and I learned a lot. These are real rough and thankful they are
not really to be put in a perfect alignment kinda like old brick is laid.
One foot square sheets had to be fitted around outlets, cabinets.

The grout took longest to remove and I had "managment" bring me clean
buckets of water. It took about a dozen trips and a whole lot of sponge
work. That night I took several advil for sore shoulders.

Were you lucky enough to tap the hot side of an outlet while holding that wet sponge? Back when I did tile for a living I did all the time and boy is it shocking.

Were you lucky enough to tap the hot side of an outlet while holding that wet sponge? Back when I did tile for a living I did all the time and boy is it shocking.

I absolutely hate the taste of electricity, stays with me for a week. I can taste it now just thinking about it...

Chris I have to tell the truth. ;)

I went to turn off the breakers and asked management to tell when the tester light went off. She said ok light is off so I went in kitchen and was about to start working when I thought I better use test light on adjacent outlet. Guess what, it was HOT. :eek:

Lessons learned, never read riot act to managment or your only free help when mad and always test each outlet, just in case they may be on separate circuits, even if located next to each other. :)

I absolutely hate the taste of electricity, stays with me for a week. I can taste it now just thinking about it...

Oldognewtrick, I agree sir, it is kinda like a "rotten egg taste" and it is not at all very pleasant. :(

I haven't worked on it but I have been enjoying it.

Just installed a new LEd TV on wall bracket. Ran HDMI and cables behind wall and a recessed surge protected outlet. What a project.

Now ready for the BIG race, the Daytona 500.

Wish I had me a nice outdoor bar and kitchen like CHRIS has there to enjoy with fellow race fans. ;)

I just picked up a TV for mine not to long ago, now I need to build an enclosed structure to keep it out of the weather.

Just wanted to say I tapped a fresh keg tonight at my bar.

Now that is GOOD news Chris. Cold beverages and good TV reception!

When I was a kid we had one black and white TV that got the three networks, if weather was good.

Now we have flat screens and several old tube tvs, all in color and hooked up to over 200 plus cable channels.I even ran cable in master bath...

What is next ?

A few hundred brick wife brought home for me to clean and make a walkway.

View attachment CCVETTS MACON MRCH 2013 048.jpg

Back