Code question on wiring

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68bucks

Reaction score
I know codes vary place to place a bit but I have a question about a barn/shop I am wiring. I'm running a circuit for the overhead lights, 15 A with a 3 way switch. What I want to do is use that same circuit to supply 2 duplexes mounted in the ceiling for door openers. What the problem is is the way the supply comes into the circuit the duplexes will be at the end of the line so the switch would turn them of and on. To keep them hot all the time I was thinking about running a single 14 ga wire to pick up the hot at the beginning of the circuit and running it to the outlet end. So what I would have is a 14/2 with ground romex running light to light but the 14 ga single wire running parallel to that run. It will all be covered so nothing is in conduit. Is that legit or do I need to tear out the 14/2 and install 14/3 just to have the third wire to carry power to the switch?

There are any number of 3 way switching dia. and here are a few: 3 way switching wiring diagram

You'll need a separate 14/2 from the hot pair, line, in each instance, too your receptacles.

I have the 3 way all wired and working to a couple of lights. Yesterday I started pulling the wire to rough in the rest of the lights and the duplexes for openers That is when it dawned on me that if I feed the duplexes from the light circuit the power will go off with the switch. Don't know why I missed that originally So what I need to do is just get a constant hot to the duplexes. The easiest way is to run a single thhn run from back where the power goes to the switch It would be about 40' I just don't know if that would meet code, a single hot wire stapled to the framing running along side the romex. The romex will enter and exit j-boxes at each light but the single wire would be continuous from the first box until it enters the last box where the romex to the duplex leaves. Does that make sense?

No, the single strand THHN must be contained for protection from damage.
14/2 is as easy as the single THHN.
20/20 hindsight, is that you should have used 14/4, instead of 14/3.

I have the 3 way all wired and working to a couple of lights. Yesterday I started pulling the wire to rough in the rest of the lights and the duplexes for openers That is when it dawned on me that if I feed the duplexes from the light circuit the power will go off with the switch. Don't know why I missed that originally So what I need to do is just get a constant hot to the duplexes. The easiest way is to run a single thhn run from back where the power goes to the switch It would be about 40' I just don't know if that would meet code, a single hot wire stapled to the framing running along side the romex. The romex will enter and exit j-boxes at each light but the single wire would be continuous from the first box until it enters the last box where the romex to the duplex leaves. Does that make sense?
Snoonyb is dead on. Now that you have the lights roughed in your easiest and safest way to power your opener receptacles is a new run of 2 wire with ground cable. There are very few applications were a single conductor without additional protection can be used as a current carrying conductor and none of those apply to residential occupancies.

No, the single strand THHN must be contained for protection from damage.
14/2 is as easy as the single THHN.
20/20 hindsight, is that you should have used 14/4, instead of 14/3.
Yea that's what I figured. Already bought the 14/4. Thanks for the confirmation.

You'll still need a 14/2 from the hot pair too the recep.

I have not done a lot of residential work , but , by code , the 2 garage door openers are classified as serving fixed pieces of equipment . There by requiring each be feed with a separate circuit . ( such as a washing machine or gas fired furnace ) .

Would it work ? Probably so . Is it code legal , probably not .

As long as the sheet rock is not yet installed , running Romex ( per your original question ) is trivial . Except for us old , fat guys .

Wyr
God bless

I have not done a lot of residential work , but , by code , the 2 garage door openers are classified as serving fixed pieces of equipment . There by requiring each be feed with a separate circuit . ( such as a washing machine or gas fired furnace ) .

Would it work ? Probably so . Is it code legal , probably not .

As long as the sheet rock is not yet installed , running Romex ( per your original question ) is trivial . Except for us old , fat guys .

Wyr
God bless
Wyr

Doesn't that apply only when the equipment "fastened in place" exceeds half the ampacity of the circuit. I don't mean this as a gotcha. I just haven't taken the time to look it up yet. So if you know what section would mandate separate circuits please let us know.

--
Tom Horne

Best I remember , in addition to the gas heater / furnace , typically the Dish Washer , Garbage Disposal are considered fixed equipment ( at least in our locality ) and thus require separate circuits . There fore , I figured garage door openers did too .

I did a quick search for a pdf of the code & did not find one . If you have a link , please post it & I will do some more searching .

However , if the OP only has one circuit to the garage , I doubt he / she is going to run any more .

Thanks , :)
Wyr
God bless

That was my thought as well. It doesn't sound as if the OP were intending in expanding beyond the stated use.

Best I remember , in addition to the gas heater / furnace , typically the Dish Washer , Garbage Disposal are considered fixed equipment ( at least in our locality ) and thus require separate circuits . There fore , I figured garage door openers did too .

I did a quick search for a pdf of the code & did not find one . If you have a link , please post it & I will do some more searching .

However , if the OP only has one circuit to the garage , I doubt he / she is going to run any more .

Thanks , :)
Wyr
God bless
I have 100A going to the building and 9 circuits in the building. I looked in my panel in the house and the house garage door opener outlets are on with some garage lights, an attic light, and some porch lights. Not that codes don't change. The house is about 25 years old

I am not trying to start a fight . Just telling you what I would do .

Just because the house is done one way does not mean it was / is legal .

As I said , running Romex is almost trivial , until the surface finish ( sheet rock ) is applied .

Wyr
God bless

Back