Compressed Air Plumbing options

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ME87

Reaction score
Option 1:

Rapid Air

This would be a pretty simple install and not a bad price. Assuming it's just 1/2 poly tubing of some sort I could also add easily using McMaster's huge source of fittings seen here McMaster Carr

Or I can run hard copper line and solder it which just sounds like a ton of work and would likely look intrusive when run externally

and any thoughts on hose reels? I've seen some cheap ones that usually leak at the swivel after a while, but I'm interested in Flexilla which is a killer price compared to some. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular product.

I've had a few hose reels and they were crap. I finally went out and purchased a Craftsman reel and never been happier. If your walls were open, I would recommend copper pipe, but with your walls sealed up, poly tubing might be the way to go.

I'm currently using poly tubing on my OBA system on my truck in some locations and it's held up to that abuse so I think in a stationary setting with milder temperature fluctuations it may hold up very well. However after examining what comes with the Rapid air kit I may just piece it together from McMaster. It's going to be hard to piece it together for less than the sale price of 90$ but I know I can beat the original price of $140 and I can use black or grey tubing which won't stick out like a sore thumb on my freshly painted walls.

Next question: Any suggestions as to the best way to run an air line through an exterior stucco wall into the interior of the garage? Or is it as simple as drill a hole, run the line, and use some silicon to seal it up?

Yep. Drill, run and silicone....provided you don't hit a stud, gas pipe or some hidden wiring!

Well ordered up most of the components to make my own rapid air kit from McMaster tonight. I have a few manifolds to machine but other than that I should have most of the components I need. Hopefully I'll be completely done painting on Sat. afternoon or so. Poker night tomorrow so I won't make any progress then. I'll post up build pics and part numbers from McMaster for those looking to do this as well.

We'll be looking forward to the progression!

So similar to the rapid air kit I've come up with this system for mounting hose connects to the wall. Where they have 1/4" NPT out, I'll have 3/8" NPT out to minimize any losses. The bottom plug will be replaced with a condensation drain most likely as well.

ManifoldFitting1.jpg

So, the box just screws into the wall and the tubing is secured to the wall as well?

Got this piece up today. Still waiting on my manifolds for the wall before I can finish up the system.

2012-02-04_17-42-19_193.jpg

Got the manifolds back, just need to tap them and get them mounted. I got most of the line run this weekend as well.

2012-02-12_21-53-53_856.jpg

All complete. Compressor is out back and quietly bugging the neighbors. I'm very happy with everything. Not a single leak.

2012-02-21_19-22-19_187.jpg

2012-02-21_18-29-22_553.jpg

Looks great. Just wondering, do you have a water separator on the compressor?

I don't yet, but living in Tucson you have to compress a lot of air to get any appreciable amount of water. I will add one however, just waiting for the right deal. I've also seen some home brew setups so I might end up giving that a go as well.

and added tank drain and inline drain,
you'd be surprised how much moisture I get DAILY!
well worth the expense and labor!

So i have been tasked with plumbing up an air system in our new building from scratch and wondering what my options are.

Ones I can think of are:
Copper (too expensive)
Galvanized steel pipe (maybe)
DOT air line (line isn't bad but fittings are pricey)
PEX (?)
PVC (i know...it could explode and kill me....)
?

This is a very large building (80'x120') so it's important to be cost efficient. What would be my best option?

Also this is primarily an equipment shed that will be used some of the time for servicing the equipment, so how should i lay out the the outlets?

So i have been tasked with plumbing up an air system in our new building from scratch and wondering what my options are.

Ones I can think of are:
Copper (too expensive)
Galvanized steel pipe (maybe)
DOT air line (line isn't bad but fittings are pricey)
PEX (?)
PVC (i know...it could explode and kill me....)
?

This is a very large building (80'x120') so it's important to be cost efficient. What would be my best option?

Also this is primarily an equipment shed that will be used some of the time for servicing the equipment, so how should i lay out the the outlets?

Have you piped it yet? Iv'e seen copper air lines sweat alot!

Nope....he hasn't decided on a compressor yet...

Latest posts

Back