Covering old Vents in Ceiling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verac

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just put in a brand new HVAC system in the basement of my ranch house.

I am tearing out the old HVAC system that is in the attic due to mold issues and to be able to do some mouse exclusion in the attic area (super cramped).

Now, there are vents in just about every room that are in the midle of the ceiling. If I remove them to seal that space so that air cannot freely flow from the attic to the first floor, there is a 12x12 square hole in the ceiling.

I have textured ceilings so drywalling the holes is going to be rough.

I was wondering if anyone knew of some kind of plastic or metal cap that I could put over the holes to seal them?

Ideally, if you took a blank face plate for an electrical outlet, blew it up to a 12x12 square, that would be perfect for what I need.

Any ideas or direction is appreciated!

The guestion is, what will you be happy with as a finished look? A 16" or 18" medallion could cover it, but would you be happy with that look? If you boxed it out with molding, it would wind up looking like an access panel...

I've worked with guys that were excellent at matching any texture. Maybe you want to patch the drywall and look for a local guy that can come in and just match the texture?

If you don't want to match the texture them patch the holes with drywall give the old grates that were there a coat of paint and put them back up. It will look like it had always looked they just wont do anything.

Back