Cracks between wall and floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ldshy3

Reaction score
I have a very old house that we are remodeling. There is a pretty big gap between the floor and walls..I have not had a chance to put the baseboards down and probably won't for a few weeks. Meanwhile bugs and spiders view these gaps as an open door..can I spray some foam in the cracks? Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20181006_085949.jpg
    20181006_085949.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 24
Foam will just make a mess.
Something does look right to me in that picture to me, help me out here.
Has someone cut out the old hardwood floors and left the part of the old flooring sticking out and installed new subflooring butted up to it?
Trying to figure what that ledge looking thing at the bottom of the wall and what that light brown stuff is on the floor.
And yes there's a reason I'm asking a question, instead of making a suggestion at this point.
There may be more work that needs to be done before the baseboards go in and any filler may be in the way..

If that's the case from what I can see the old flooring was cut out wrong.
I use a Toe Kick saw to cut out the old planks even with the plaster, and an osillating saw or sawsall with a short wide blade to cut out the inside corners.
Looks like you stuck with having to deal with a lip where the base will sit.

In that corner the house was already like that..the person that laid the floor secured something under it to the foundation to fix it...the rest of the room just looks lime this

Attachments

• 20181006_085937.jpg
    20181006_085937.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 15
Welcome.
The space in the 2nd photo is typical of a drywall installation and occurs from the drywall being purposely held off the floor to eliminate damage to the edge.

In both cases I'd vacuum and apply raid.

So you have a wood floor hanging on the side of the foundation. That means you have a crawl space. that can be looked at.
Does the floor go out of level in that corner? Is there a chance the floor has dropped that far?

If you decide to fill that gap with spray foam, use the low expansion door & window foam, Less mess and water clean-up.

Back