Damaged strip of hardwood floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psanoja

Reaction score
Hello and thank you for accepting me into this forum. I am going to refinish my hardwood floors. They are between 100 and 120 years old. I just finished the sunroom and the result is spectacular. With the rest of the main floor, though, there are a few challenges. In a remodel done probably in the 1970s, they tore down part of a wall and took a chunk of the floor off. Also, it seems that when the house was built, the space under the wall frame was routed. It was covered by carpet, but when I took it out and discovered it, I filled it with wood filler while I figure out what to do.the floors are 3 1/4 x 12 feet strips, so I can’t just do a normal repair. What can I do to repair this space? Please see video attached.

Attachments

• 65340812355__A786EF17-9FF0-40D6-8443-D1C03A4BF9F3.MOV
    3.2 MB
In case the video doesn’t work, please see this pic.

Attachments

• 550AACB5-F56F-4D36-AA66-E896987E2F04.jpeg
    550AACB5-F56F-4D36-AA66-E896987E2F04.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 8
You made the job 10 times harder by using that wood filler, it as well as that 2 X 4 needs to go.
Once that's all dug out take another picture so we can see how much flooring needs to be replaced.
It's best to cut out and replace whole strips, not just patch in some short pieces when possible so it will not stick out as a repair.
To remove a strip I make two cuts in the middle of the board with my blade set just below the thickness of the flooring about 1/2" apart.
The end where it butts the next piece can be cut out with an oscillating saw.
Lift that piece out, then I use a brick chisel at a sharp angle to drive the wood to be removed toward the section that was removed, making sure not get close to the seam where the two piece meet.
I use a brick chisel instead of a wood chisel because I do not want to have it dig in to far and split the wood and make more work for myself, I just want to break off the tongue holding it in place.
Remove any wood left behind, and cut off any nails that are going to be in the way.
Clean up the area.
Cut off the tongue on the replacement pieces of wood.
Apply a thin layer of construction adhesive to the subfloor, and install new pieces of wood.
Pre drill some holes and add some galv, finish nails, it's not going to take many.
I use galv. nails because there rough and hold better.
To make this whole floor look 100% right the whole floor will need to be sanded and refinished.

The principle is the same with unfinished as the prefinished in this video.

Thank you for the responses. I did look at a profile of the floor and subfloor , and it's an inch deep, nailed to another identical piece of one inch Douglas Fir. I didn't see groove and tongue. They're just nailed next to each other.
The video is really helpful. I had thought about something like this, but the issue is the thickness of the wood, and the length of the strip. I can't replace the whole piece because most of it is under the frame of a load bearing wall. I also can't seem to find a 3 1/4 strip of Fir that's only an inch thick. I don't have a table saw, so cutting the thick studs found in Lowe's or Home Depot is difficult to me.

@Psanoja Are the flooring strips fir or hardwood? Generally the lumber at Lowes is ¾" thick so if your flooring is 1" thick you would need to shim a replacement piece to the same height. Also 3¼" width is non standard (unless maybe in flooring strips) so you might need to have a 4" (3½") board ripped to 3¼". Lowes will cut to length but I don't think they will rip. Check your circle of friends usually it's not too hard to find a friend (or friend of a friend) that is a woodworker to some extent. My experience is that most woodworkers are helpful and willing to cut a board to size for you. I know if you were in my area I would be happy to cut a piece for you.

I was able to find a strip and replaced the damaged one. There’s a slight difference in thickness, but after the refinishing that’s not going to be noticeable.

Latest posts

Back