Deeks garage, before

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deek281

deek
Reaction score
Hi there all,
I said I'd post a pic or two of my garage to be. This garage is in the "just getting started" phase. I have not moved hardly anything into it. Right now its being used as an overwinter storage area for warm weather tools and equipment. Its big, but none of it is insulated, there is no place for heat, the power in it is less than sub-standard for what I want. But, I have pretty much the rest of my life to get it up to par. I told the wife when we got married that I wanted a farm with a garage before I retire. I'm 29 years old. I have it now, and dont plan on leaving it. Let me know if you have any ideas that maybe i havent thought of, or any recomendations on how-to's. By the way, this is from the east door (main entrance) looking in.
Thanks,

Deek

View attachment garage1.jpg

View attachment garage2.jpg

Why don't you start by listing the things you have in mind. When I look at a great garage like that, I envision lots of overhead lighting, 120v power everywhere, a place for 220v (welders), and possibly gas powered heaters. Of course, a refrigerator, couch and TV would also be high on my list! :thumbsup:

I want to secure the structural integrity of the building first, making sure it can support itself and the load of a second story mini apartment. Then comes new roof, insulation and heavy duty (100A) breaker box with several 220v outlets. I'd like to keep with the character of the building and use wood heat, but I think gas will be better for it. Eventually I will be installing a 2nd floor, wood shop on the lower level (see second pic) and auto/fab shop on the main floor. I'm getting into blacksmithing, so maybe even a forge in one corner (will provide PLENTY of heat with that thing!)

Sounds like a very ambitious project. I'd also love to see an actual blacksmithing set up. Please keep us informed with lots of pictures!

You won't be happy long with only 100 amp service.. You might better consider 200
amp right from jump street. Better to do it now than to redo it later.

John

Not a bad idea, jclem. Thanks. I think you are right about doing the 200A first. that way I have all the power I should ever need, right out of the box.

Back