Door knob height for short doors - 75”

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd Phelps

Reaction score
I’m in the middle of a basement remodel and the doorknob heights seem way too low. The standard is height is 36” but these are 32”. They ordered standard doors and just cut the bottom which lowered the door knob significantly. Does that seem normal? ThanksIMG_1835.jpg IMG_1836.jpg IMG_1837.jpg

You ordered doors and jambs, and they were milled to fit, had you specified a particular milling, you would have received that.

That's the tough truth. But if your contractor ordered the doors without consulting you, then you have a right to be pissed. Not much you can do now, if the contractor has been paid in full, except appeal to his sense of honor and remind him that you could be a good reference....or not.
OTOH, lots of odd things get done in a basement. And door knob height is not unusual if the ceilings are low.

I wouldn’t like it but would probably live with it in a basement.

I rarely hire work done but when I do I turn some contractors off with too much specific detail in my written request for the job I ask them to sign as the work scope. The funny part is there are some contractors that love the specific details and say it makes their job easier. Of course in the future be open to their suggestions for changes to your work scope. They have been in the business and you don’t have to accept their plan but be aware it could be better than what you thought of.

Something as basic as door knob height is pretty basic.

Welcome to the forum as well.
:welcome:

Back