Doorbell only works when common reconnected

Discussion in 'Electrical and Wiring' started by drumz, Mar 22, 2018.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. Mar 22, 2018 #1

drumz

drumz

drumz

Just bought a new doorbell/chime and have all new wiring so no breaks or junctions anywhere.
    I have red wire from button going to transformer terminal and transformer lead from chime (red) going to other transformer terminal. Then I have the white wires from chime and button twisted together. The doorbell only works when I change ring modes or disconnect and reconnect white common wire where I twisted them.
    Can someone explain what's wrong? I've tried all kinds of combinations and can't get it to work.
    Thanks in advance for your time :)

2. Mar 22, 2018 #2

havasu

havasu

havasu

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Obviously you have an electric door bell. I too had a similar problem until I learned it is often necessary to install a diode on the doorbell wire. I found the diode necessary at a local radio shack.

3. Mar 23, 2018 #3

drumz

drumz

drumz

I forgot to mention that it came with a diode and I have tried it with and without even changing poles and still no go. Maybe the transformer is bad even though it's new? The button also has an LED which I thought was the main function of the diode but that is not lit either.

4. Mar 23, 2018 #4

havasu

havasu

havasu

"I have red wire from button going to transformer terminal and transformer lead from chime (red) going to other transformer terminal. Then I have the white wires from chime and button twisted together."

Something seems funny (wrong) with how this is installed. I just took my cover off my box and planned on taking a picture to help you, but since I have the Ring doorbell installed in that box, the wires are vastly different. Sorry.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  5. Mar 23, 2018 #5

drumz

drumz

drumz

Hey, no problem! I really appreciate your time and effort. Since Home Depletion didn't have the ex-electrician there today who quit because they don't pay enough,,, there's another guy there that knows spark I'm hoping to run into tonight when I go for some plumbing parts.

6. Mar 23, 2018 #6

havasu

havasu

havasu

I believe the red should go to the front door tab. The white goes to the common tab. Since I also just replace my transformer, here is a pic of the wires that lead from the transformer to the sound box, then the doorbell. 20180322_184449.jpg

7. Mar 26, 2018 #7

slownsteady

slownsteady

slownsteady

It should be a simple loop, starting and ending at the transformer. One button and one chime should be as straight forward as it gets.

Draft saved Draft deleted