Drain for Shower and Kitchen - advice

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GottHR-TN

Reaction score
I have an old house that I bought and am renovating a bathroom and would appreciate some advice on the best way to handle updating the current drains.

The previous owner remodeled the home in several area's and I'm really scratching my head on some of the things he did. I'll try and explain the current situation the best I can and I've included some pictures.

Pics 1 thru 3 are the current drain configuration from different angles. As you can see the current shower and kitchen drain feed connect into a 2 inch galvanized steel pipe that connects to a 5 inch cast iron main drain and on the other end to a vent that goes to the roof. Pic 4 is the current shower drain... he did not install any P-trap for the shower drain and Pic5 show the galvanized steel pipe going to the vent. The current kitchen and shower drains are connected via rubber couplings. As you can see the couplings kind of dips and the shower drains elbow actually angles towards the vent rather that the main drain direction, I have to imagine that as the shower and kitchen sinks drain it must back up towards the vent somewhat.

So, I need to replace this configuration and was wondering if someone could give me some advice on what the best options to do this would be. I will install a new P-trap on the shower drain, was wondering if I should just utilize the rubber couplings (like currently) to connect everything as they connect to the main drain but maybe create a better base so there is no dip like there currently is or would it make sense to do something else? I'm also planning on renovating the kitchen next and plan on moving the sink from its current location to a new location... if there's a way to plan for that now as I'm doing that it would be good.

Thanks for everyone's help, really appreciate the thoughts of those more experienced than I with plumbing.

Attachments

• Pic1 - Drain - Shower and  Kitchen sink.jpg
    Pic1 - Drain - Shower and Kitchen sink.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Pic2 - Drain - Shower and  Kitchen sink .jpg
    Pic2 - Drain - Shower and Kitchen sink .jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Pic3 - Drain - Shower and  Kitchen sink.jpg
    Pic3 - Drain - Shower and Kitchen sink.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Pic4 - Drain - Shower.jpg
    Pic4 - Drain - Shower.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Pic5 - Vent - Kitchen and Shower.jpg
    Pic5 - Vent - Kitchen and Shower.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 0
There is nothing wrong with the Fernco couplings and adapters. I would have likely glued it all together using PVC fittings and then just used the Fernco for the last connection to the steel pipe. I’m sure whoever did it was working in the cramped space and using the rubber fittings made it so his angles and such would be more forgiving.

For sure you want a trap on the shower. I’m surprised you are not getting sewer gas backing up the pipes now. Maybe the dip is enough to keep the pipe full of water.

Back