Dried paint on brushes.

Help Support House Repair Talk:

tuffy

Reaction score
Is there a product out there that can bring old hardened brushes back to life its dried latex and oil based paints?

chrisn

Reaction score
Not really, the trash can is the best place for it.

Gary

Reaction score
There is. I thought I had some on the shelf, but I must have used it up. Can't remember the name, but paint stores or big box stores should carry it. It will remove dried paint from brushes, even loosen dried paint in sprayers. Has a very bad/strong odor, so use in a well ventilated area. You just have to decide if buying the cleaner and spending the time cleaning the brush is worth it or if it's better to just pitch it like chrisn suggested.

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
If you buy a $20 paintbrush you will clean it spotless after each use and never need the cleaner product. If you buy a $2 paintbrush it wont be worth buying the stuff and the time to use it, and then there are people like me that buy the $2 paint brush and clean it and use it for 10 years.

elbo

Reaction score
let the brush soak in a saturated solution of water and TSP [tri-sodium-phosphate ] over night, or maybe longer , depending on how crapped up the brush is, it will soften the paint so it can be cleaned off the brush

Snoonyb

Reaction score
The truly left coast's epa has restricted the purchase of TSP too TsP, so be careful what you are buying.

Latest posts