Dual toggle switch wiring

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southtexaspb

Reaction score
EE7894CD-4324-4075-96FE-0C1608317133.jpeg I’m new to home improvement, so I pretty much limit myself to replacing existing electrical problems. I am pretty stumped on this two-toggle switch in the kitchen if my early ‘70s house. One switch activated the over sink light, the other an under sink outlet for the garbage disposal. (not sure which one is which, as neither is functional at this time). I thought it would be pretty straightforward process, to replace the two switches, but when I pulled them from box there was an extra wire I could not determine how it had been connected.

Two black wires were connected to the toggle switch on the left and a black and white wire were connected to the toggle on the right. Then there was a confusing extra black wire on the right side extending from a twist connector (unconnected now and not sure where originally attached). Any ideas, where that one may go?

Hard to see into that dark box.
If your saying you unconnected it from the wire nut, then reconnect it and don't worry about it.
Most likely a straight through to provide constant power to something.

Welcome.
The switch that remains connected may well be for the light and the two black conductors on the left are probably for the recep. that the disposal was plugged into.

You'll need an inexpensive VOM, (volt, ohm meter), to better understand what you are attempting to service.

Hard to see into that dark box.
If your saying you unconnected it from the wire nut, then reconnect it and don't worry about it.
Most likely a straight through to provide constant power to something.

What I was attempting to say is that I don’t know if I disconnected the wire when I pulled the switches away from the box. It is the black wire on the upper right side extending from the grey wire nut. It has the curl at the exposed end of the wire. I have no idea if, or where, it was attached to one of the toggles.

"You'll need an inexpensive VOM, (volt, ohm meter), to better understand what you are attempting to service."

It could have come from anywhere.

The existing connected single pole switch appears to be connected, not using the side mount screws, which are recommended, and easily corrected.

Back