Earth homes

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryeder

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with earth covered homes? I have been researching waterproofing and there are a number of options. Iwll take any advice on this one.

Out of all the earth sheltered ones I have seen, the owners would have preferred to go with earth beamed. Many of the opinions may have be because of the poor performance of any wood system for the roof - deflection and creep that compounded leakage because of the ponding. Goats and grass on the roof may seem to be green and cute, but there are problems.

As far as the walls a good properly built concrete or reinforced block can easily carry the loads. Both interior and exterior tiles are necessary, just as they should be used on any basement, plus use a granular backfill (not "dirt" local soil or clay). Do not tie and roof drainage into the tile drains.

Dick

During my reading, earth bermed seemed the way to go. Maybe I will just build another log cabin and call it good enough. I have more experience here than in hobbit holes. Thanks for the advice...

Back