EV Charging

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midwestdezigner

Reaction score
We just purchased our first hybrid plugin and we were wondering about wiring it. There is a 240 V plug for our dryer close to where we want the charger installed. Is it possible to create the outlet from the dryer plug and simply daisy chain them? If so would it be up to code? Thanks in advance.

I've seen people run chargers off of their dryer outlet, but I doubt running a separate outlet off that same circuit would be to code. A dryer outlet is a dedicated 50A 220V circuit because a dryer needs 50A @ 220V, same with an EV. When you unplug the dryer and plug in your car you can't run the dryer at the same time. Have a second plug installed on the same circuit and you could *try* to charge the car while someone else *tries* to dry clothes. I say try because the load would cause the breaker to trip.

As part of my basement project I ran a dedicated 50A 220V GFCI protected outlet from my main panel to the garage. It had to be GFCI protected because it is in a garage, same if it was outside if you didn't have a garage. I don't have an EV yet, but I suspect I will, or certainly the next owner will.

I've seen people run chargers off of their dryer outlet, but I doubt running a separate outlet off that same circuit would be to code. A dryer outlet is a dedicated 50A 220V circuit because a dryer needs 50A @ 220V, same with an EV. When you unplug the dryer and plug in your car you can't run the dryer at the same time. Have a second plug installed on the same circuit and you could *try* to charge the car while someone else *tries* to dry clothes. I say try because the load would cause the breaker to trip.

As part of my basement project I ran a dedicated 50A 220V GFCI protected outlet from my main panel to the garage. It had to be GFCI protected because it is in a garage, same if it was outside if you didn't have a garage. I don't have an EV yet, but I suspect I will, or certainly the next owner will.
that makes perfect sense, thank you Sparky617!

I would look into a selector switch two position with a third off position.

I wouldn’t want to be plugging into the dryer outlet all the time.

Here is a switch that popped up when I did a search.

We have some pros here that will let us know what code says about sharing a power source thru a switch.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/9019/AC_Rotary_Switch_-_OFF_+_2_Positions_240V_AC_65A
That switch is over $100 more than the 50A GFCI breaker I installed for my EV outlet. All told, I have less than $400 tied up in my dedicated circuit including the service entrance cable used for the wire, the GFCI breaker, and the dryer outlet. My EV outlet is around 70 feet of cable away from my main service panel.

That switch is over $100 more than the 50A GFCI breaker I installed for my EV outlet. All told, I have less than $400 tied up in my dedicated circuit including the service entrance cable used for the wire, the GFCI breaker, and the dryer outlet. My EV outlet is around 70 feet of cable away from my main service panel.
That sounds about right.

We don’t know the OPs panel rating he may only have a 100A service or how much is involved in running a second cable.

If he could get away with charging over night and they always did laundry during the day sharing the service might not be too bad.

I have a detached garage that has about a 100’ run underground, but the garage has a 100A sub-panel so I would be all set. The only big draw I have out there is my welder and that’s only on a 30A plug.

I did see a 62A switch on Amazon for $39. It looked like it came in an enclosure also.

It was just an idea.

If he has the space in his panel for a 220v breaker he should be able to install a new one. He may have to time when he charges his car to limit the load. Charge the car over night when he isn't running the dryer or electric range. There are new smart panels that will prioritize circuits to minimize the need for ever increasing service entrance needs. As politicians more towards pushing all electric on us in the future these panels will be essential. This guy does a pretty cool video on the subject. Home Electrification

Electric dryers are 30amp 120/240V circuits utilizing a NEMA 14/30R - with 10/3wground
You're right, I had grabbed my unused 50A range outlet for my basement panel. But I ran a new 100A circuit for it when I pulled permits and reinstalled the range outlet in case we ever convert to electric. I also ran a dedicated 50A GFCI protected EV outlet at the same time.

Electric dryers are 30amp 120/240V circuits utilizing a NEMA 14/30R - with 10/3wground
I should have noticed as well. I don’t know a lot about EV charging, but if within the next 10 years 2/3 of the cars sold will have to be EV we as a country better buckle down and get to work. People are in no way going to run to a place to charge and pay a premium for juice with a long wait to fill up. Those will be for people traveling. So if most around town travel people will charge at home and my guess at some point the state will step in and tell you that road tax needs to be added in somehow.

The thing is a lot of the country homes are not ready to pull off 50A just for this. It is my understanding lower level charging will be an option like 30A or even 10A off a 120v supply in a pinch. It might take a couple days to charge but if you didn’t drive much like a retired guy like me it might work.

If there was a 30A option how would you feel about power sharing thru a switch with a dryer?

I should have noticed as well. I don’t know a lot about EV charging, but if within the next 10 years 2/3 of the cars sold will have to be EV we as a country better buckle down and get to work. People are in no way going to run to a place to charge and pay a premium for juice with a long wait to fill up. Those will be for people traveling. So if most around town travel people will charge at home and my guess at some point the state will step in and tell you that road tax needs to be added in somehow.

The thing is a lot of the country homes are not ready to pull off 50A just for this. It is my understanding lower level charging will be an option like 30A or even 10A off a 120v supply in a pinch. It might take a couple days to charge but if you didn’t drive much like a retired guy like me it might work.

If there was a 30A option how would you feel about power sharing thru a switch with a dryer?
At fast chargers it doesn't take hours to charge, you can usually pump in enough electrons in 20 minutes to move you down the road another 200 miles. For those of us with garages we'll charge at home 90% of the time and you'll top up overnight a couple of times a week in normal driving. Friends that have EVs don't plug them in every day for normal around town driving. I believe you can set the rate at which the EV pulls power based on the outlet capacity. EV charging is going to present bigger issues for city dwellers, apartment dwellers and others without dedicated parking for their home whether in a garage or a driveway.

The car companies are moving rapidly to EVs because government mandates while shifting from admin to admin are heading to making EVs the only way to meet emissions requirements. In Europe the VW diesel scandal has accelerated the move to EVs by BMW, MB, VW, Audi, and others. They are dropping diesels rapidly as consumers have shifted away from them. The car companies have to think long term and a roll back of emissions requirements by Trump was bound to be undone with the next Democrat POTUS as it was. Near term plug in hybrids make a lot of sense, but it is a redundant drivetrain and added complexity. If I were buying today, I'd look long and hard at a Ford Maverick hybrid. It is more than enough truck for my suburban life. I'd love a Lightning, but I can't justify $75K on one this close to retirement.

Anything can be done if mankind put their minds to the task at hand. Displacing 2/3 of the petrochemical industry in ten years seems like an ambitious goal. There is the chemical side to be replaced also so someone needs to find a replacement for plastic. Lots of glass bottles again perhaps.

To me the simple answer always comes back to nuclear power that despite what everyone thinks is probably the safest. It is more and more looking like the other use for nuclear energy might solve the problem even sooner than we think.

Anything can be done if mankind put their minds to the task at hand. Displacing 2/3 of the petrochemical industry in ten years seems like an ambitious goal. There is the chemical side to be replaced also so someone needs to find a replacement for plastic. Lots of glass bottles again perhaps.

To me the simple answer always comes back to nuclear power that despite what everyone thinks is probably the safest. It is more and more looking like the other use for nuclear energy might solve the problem even sooner than we think.

Rolls Royce is developing a modular reactor and plans to deploy dozens of them in the UK over the coming decade. These are smaller and essentially factory built instead of the bespoke mess we had in the early days of nuke power. They are also building the new nuke power plant for the submarine we're building for the Aussies. These smaller nuke generators are the future for our lifetime, kid's lifetime and probably the next 100+ years. We can't create enough batteries to rely solely on wind and solar, and there aren't many rivers left to dam, plus good luck if you had a river to dam actually building a dam. Solar is unrealistic in winter in many northern areas. Good luck storing enough electricity in Alaska when you get from 0-4 hours of weak daylight in December and January.

Rolls Royce Modular Reactors

Here is a thing that allows you to share an outlet. It only allows one thing to run at a time. The breaker would need to be upgraded to a GFCI for use in the garage. I'd only do something like this if the panel didn't have enough space for a proper dedicated circuit. I ran a dedicated circuit from my main panel at the meter to power a future EV. I did a GFCI protected 50A 220VAC circuit with the proper outlet to handle the load.

Dryer outlet 24 Amp Automatic Power Splitter Smart Switch for EV

I wonder how many EV owners in NC realize their energy source is really natural gas?

I wonder how many EV owners in NC realize their energy source is really natural gas?
A significant portion of my power comes from the Sharon Harris Nuke plant in New Hill about 25 miles away. Duke is also investing pretty heavily in solar. Greens don't like nukes, but we need something to handle the baseload at night and on cloudy days. We can't manufacture enough batteries and deploy them fast enough to create enough utility level storage. For back-up natural gas is about the best option going if you have to burn something to power the grid. Rolls Royce is preparing to build a bunch of modular nuke plants that are essentially factory build small reactors that can be deployed fairly quickly. The bespoke nature and massive scale of the 1960-1980's nuke plants led to large cost overruns. Going to a solid, repeatable design could be a huge game changer.

For transportation, I'm not sure why CNG powered vehicles have never moved beyond fleet sales. EVs have their challenges and I'm not signing up to be an early adopter. I prepared my house for one only because it is likely inevitable in the next 15 years.

Speaking of electric cars, California has begun BETA testing on a mileage charge for ALL cars, supposedly later transferring to only electric cars. San Diego is now charging $.03 a mile for all cars. Let's say you take your car on a cross country trip for a 6000 mile trip, with only 400 miles in California. California gets all the road tax for wear and tear in the 48 other states. Seems we are closer to a nationwide revolt than I thought.

Speaking of electric cars, California has begun BETA testing on a mileage charge for ALL cars, supposedly later transferring to only electric cars. San Diego is now charging $.03 a mile for all cars. Let's say you take your car on a cross country trip for a 6000 mile trip, with only 400 miles in California. California gets all the road tax for wear and tear in the 48 other states. Seems we are closer to a nationwide revolt than I thought.
Another reason U-haul trucks cost 10X more leaving CA than going to CA.

Latest posts

Back