Exploding Vacuums

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berto

Reaction score
Have any of y'all ever had a vacuum blow up/explode/catch fire in the middle of using it?

What happened?

Yes, the vacuum was being used in an area with gas fumes The fumes were sucked into the motor and exploded.

Yeah I was living at a place with crummy carpet like you would see in a weight room with large strands of fibers tearing off down the center of it... some of these extroardinarily hard to break fibers wound up in my Panasonic vacuum and I smelled a lot of really nasty smoke as the vacuum nearly caught on fire and self destructed

How large does a vacuum full of gas fumes explode? Would it knock you over?

gasoline/air explosions aren't incredibly powerful, but you might get a decent pop and some shrapnel if the plastic cracks.

--Bushytails

This sounds like something they did on that TV show where they test theories...

Oh, that's one of my worst fears. Ever since I learned how to use a vacuum, the thought of it blowing up has always been in the back of my mind. Especially because sometimes when you vacuum you start to smell a kind of burning smell. Fortunately, I haven't had any exploding vacuums in my day.

Back