Exterior metal trim on vinyl replacement windows

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtkorab

Reaction score
I'd appreciate your opinions on how replacement vinyl windows should be trimmed on the exterior. Attached are some photos of our recent install. Is metal capping typically used in this application. Was it installed correctly? Thank you!Windows-305.jpg

Attachments

• Windows-300.jpg
    Windows-300.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 12
  • Windows-302.jpg
    Windows-302.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Windows-303.jpg
    Windows-303.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Windows-304.jpg
    Windows-304.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 12
Metal trim coil is used to clad the wood framing on a lot of replacement Windows. If it were my house, I would not be happy with the install. All the voids will trap water and cause the sills and jams to rot. I hope you haven't given final payment yet. I'd call the company and get their representative out to see the craftsmanship.

Thank you, oldognewtrick and bud16415, for taking the time to respond. Final payment not yet made. I'm not knowledgeable here, but I hear you saying that all the gaps, both around the entire perimeter and between pieces of the trim should be sealed? Should the perimeter have "flanges," they don't look so good and I haven't been able to find an example on the internet of trim with flanges.

When the bottom piece is cut, there should be a "tab" the extends up under the piece that covers it. You'll always have a small gap but trying to seal a big gap with caulk alone results in future failure. Metal will expand and contract as it goes through thermal cycles. Even the best if caulks will eventually loose adhesion on the weakest surface. By installing a tab on the joint it gives more surface area for bonding of the caulk, and it will look a lot more finished.
https://images.app.goo.gl/SdMCNX2QSwYnJtB39

He also should have used a simple compound bevel gauge when making the cuts and marking for the tabs so there was no big open seams like that.
I would have make a saw cut into the top of that mullion strip so I could have a place for a 1/2 tab in that head piece so there the was no thin strip of metal like they have.

Latest posts

Back