Fairy Circle

Help Support House Repair Talk:

applebear

Reaction score
Not sure if this is where I would put this, but late last month I had a fairy circle pop up in my yard and it was a little amusing how much excitement it stirred up around town. I had cars stopping and taking pictures, this group called the red hats came and had some fun with it, and even the local paper came out [will post below].

I just thought I'd share. They were starting to die, and my grass was turning into a jungle so I finally had to give in and plow them down...but they were fun while they were here.

PS We are choosing to look at these with good fortune. :p

applebear

Reaction score
Fungi are amazing creatures. Vast mostly unseen influencers of our planet. Distinctly intelligent. Utterly revolting on pizza.
What?! Fungi is amazing on pizza. Maybe not *this* fungi though.

I mow about 75 yards a week and I'd never seen one before or since, but in this one yard that I mow every week they came up almost overnight. I had to knock at the door to see if the lady had put some fake mushrooms there as yard art.
http://www.weekendgardener.net/plant-diseases/fairy-ring-031003.htm
I've never seen one either, and that's about how it happened. I stepped on a couple small shrooms while mowing and the next morning there was a whole ring. I was getting text and calls all that day informing me of the fairies that must be up to something in my yard. I was amused, but admit it's pretty neat to get to see.

nealtw

Contractor retired
Reaction score
They have a common root system under the ground that has a name that I can't remember and the mushroom grow around the fringe of that root.
I have seen a perfect rectangle right over a buried septic tank,