Family wants to DIY

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawanda

Reaction score
Wow, Where to start. First off My name is Shawanda. My husband Chad and I bought our first house a little over a year ago. We have three children, 2 boys ages 12 and 8, and a one year old baby girl. It's an older house (1950's ish), pier and beam foundation and approximatley 900 sq. ft. Not nearly enough room for this family. We bought this house for the purpose of fixing it up the way we want it. Something to put our stamp of life on so to speak. The house needs alot of work starting with releveling, some major updating, and addition of space. As for relelveling the house, again it is pier and beam and it is mainly that some of the piers have slid off of the concrete cinder blocks and broken. Im sure that we could just go in jack the house back up, replace the beams and resituate the cinder blocks, but we are looking for a more long term solution. So any ideas there would be greatly appreciated. Once we get the house leveled, we would like to add on about another 3 to 400 sq. ft of living space. (another bathroom would be nice.) After that comes the whole remodeling concept. So any information you supply will be greatly appreciated and more than likely put to use. So thank you in advance for any advice that you may submit.

Welcome Shawanda, I'm sure you will find lots of useful information here, I know I have. We look forward to answering questions. I don't know much about pier and beam or the soil type you have but I would think that you could jack it up and then put your piers under and concrete around them so that they can't slip.

You may want to talk to your local building inspector or some contractors to find out how others in the area have done it.
Good luck
Justin

Welcome Shawanda and Chad:
Your piers may not have been set on a concrete footer, which is something you are going to need at least around the perimiter of the house.
You could level it up first, then dig the footer between the piers on the outside. The footer should be at least 16" wide and 8" thick with 2 #4 re-bars for strength. Concrete blocks should be laid between the piers then to close in the crawl space. Be sure to leave a 2' wide X 16" tall access near the bathroom and at least 2 16" X 8" vents on each side of the house. The piers under the house can be laid right on undisturbed earth since they will not be affected by weather changes. I would lay the first concrete block on its flat side for more earth bearing and then stack the others upright to the beam. All piers and foundations should be capped with metal flashing that overhangs all sides by 2" for termite protection.
Perhaps you could include some pictures of the house which would make your questions easier to understand and we can be of more help. Call on us anytime, there are several professionals on here who will be glad to help.
Glenn

Back