Fill The Pipe

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohio House

Reaction score
I could use some ideas on how I might seal up a pipe that goes through one of the walls in my house. The previous owner added an external chimney for a wood burning stove. The connection through the wall is some type of clay pipe, and has an inside diameter of 8-11/32", or about 8.340". What I wish to do is seal the inside of that pipe. Just to keep air, moisture, critters, etc. from coming in. The stove is long gone and this chimney won't be used.

I've searched for mechanical expandable plugs, they're used as test plugs or even as a permenant plug. But there are very few that will expand to the size, and they're pricey, at least the ones that I found, about $350.

What other methods can be used to plug the pipe? It doesn't need to be pretty, just needs to seal up the opening.

Thanks!

Buy a piece of expanded metal lath, crumple some up, stuff in the pipe and add some mortar or 5min. drywall compound.

I would remove it if possible and patch the hole. If not some lath for rigidity then a can of spray foam.

Well I guess late is better than never. What I ended up doing was purchase an expandable pipe seal. These are used for water, oil, other liquids to temporarily or permanently close off a pipe internally. This way the pipe is closed off to water that will come down the chimney I no longer use. And it's a tight seal against any type of critter that may try to get through. Below is where I bought it.

https://www.petersenproducts.com/PIPE-PLUG-MECHANICAL-HAND-TIGHT-7-7-8-5-DIA-1-p/1410080.htm

Attachments

• peterson 141-0080 block off.jpg
    peterson 141-0080 block off.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back