Fill with concrete or drop in a new sill?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marlaf1911

Reaction score
Greetings! There is a small house on our property, built in 1911. It was a temporary dwelling while the family built the main house. It's small and one room (14x24). I've just stripped two walls to studs (and siding). The sill is totally gone and in its place is essentially a trench in the slab (see photo). On one wall, the trench is about 2.5" deep. On the other wall, it's about 5" deep. I am wondering if I ought to be dropping a new sill right in the spot where the old one had been, or if I should consider filling the trench with concrete and placing the new sill on the patched surface.

Grateful for any thoughts...

Attachments

• IMG_3464.JPG
    IMG_3464.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 21
How high it the dirt on the outside, this might be a good time to pour a raised curb or a row of CMU blocks.

Kind of makes you wonder what’s holding up the building.

A quickly built temporary structure that’s made it 107 years is a tough call.

Your plans for the building and the rest of the overall condition should factor in. Also the area of the country you live in and the frost depth would be a question I would have?

What’s your budget for the second little house and making these repairs?

Kind of makes you wonder what’s holding up the building.

A quickly built temporary structure that’s made it 107 years is a tough call.

Your plans for the building and the rest of the overall condition should factor in. Also the area of the country you live in and the frost depth would be a question I would have?

What’s your budget for the second little house and making these repairs?
If that's below the gable it is not a problem, might need a little lift when re building the wall.

Something is majorly wrong one the outside of the wall for this much damage to have happened on the inside.
Post a picture of the outside.
My guess would be that sidings is way too close to grade, it should have been at least 6" above grade.

Back