Fixing my deck

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
So, I have been clearing out the deck to see what is going on. There are some posts that are not sitting in the deck blocks. I think I saw 3 of them, but there may be more. I plan on tearing the deck down in about 5 years.

Here is my "temporary" fix:
I have a heavy duty jack. I plan to use it to lift the deck as needed.
I plan to get some gravel and spread it under where the blocks are to build it up. I will tamp it and then slide the deck block under. I am thinking of using a patio stone under the deck block to make up the distance as well.

Does this make sense? Will it be good enough?

I would just level / tighten the supports up in the three places with shims on the top if I could do it there rather than messing with the supports and footing below. Likely the soil below has compacted now over the years and could have not been compacted when built.

I would shim and see what happens 5 years goes by pretty fast.

I would just level / tighten the supports up in the three places with shims on the top if I could do it there rather than messing with the supports and footing below. Likely the soil below has compacted now over the years and could have not been compacted when built.

I would shim and see what happens 5 years goes by pretty fast.

That is what I am doing, sort of. Right now, those deck blocks can be slid out without an issue. So, I am uding the gravel to level it out and the paving stones as a shim.

Back