Fixing scratched table?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepper

Reaction score
Hey guy,

This is the first question of this type I've asked here—so I don't know if it's appropriate, or if you focus more on actually building stuff. So thanks for your indulgence.

Our "genuine repro" mid-century coffee table got scratched in our move (thumbnails below). I've used those scratch-cover felt markers in the past, but find they're mostly for darker finishes, not lighter ones like these.

Any ideas how I could touch this up so it wouldn't look quite as bad? Thanks!

coffee_table_scratch_0.jpg

coffee_table_scratch_1.jpg

On the plus side, they may make it look more convincingly old—but my wife doesn't seem to buy that 😄

Have you tried color matched felt tip pens, made to hide scratches in furniture? You can find a kit at Home Depot or Spamazon.

1686848375607.png

Yes, as I mentioned, I've used them in the past, but the covered areas were always considerably darker than the "lighter" pens would lead you to believe. Maybe that's the only practical way to go, though. I don't think I've ever tried any quite as light as that one in your photo, either—I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

Back