Framing a basement room

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
Picture to follow.

I am closing in part of my basement in for a laundry room. It'll be about 5'x7'. I will be laying down a subfloor; I know it as dry core sub floor, but that may be a trade name. My issue is the stuff in the way. The house is 90 years old. Here are my challenges:

1) A light fixture is right where a wall is going. I'll need to do something about the box.
2) heating duct. some of it utilizes the floor joist cavity for the run. Any problem with nailing into the joist in the middle of the run?
3) another heating duct. There is a heating duct that I want to run the wall along. How much space do I need to leave?
4) furnace vent/exhaust. There is an indoor clothes line that, the support for it is also supporting the 2 white pipes for the inlet and outlet of the propane furnace burner. Anything special I need to do to support it, or just some metal strapping?
5) furnace water drain. The drain for the line that takes the condensation from the furnace is in the way. Anny issue with just moving it so that I can nail to the joist?

Thoughts?

I'm seeing a lot of stuff here. There is a gas line, a hot and cold water line, some cat 5 cable, some high efficiency furnace pipes, some other DWV pipe and some other ducting and piping that is visible.

I would be hesitant to cover up or move any of this until someone qualified has a chance to look at it.

Keep in mind that HVAC systems have to be repaired on a regular basis and have to be replaced on an irregular basis. The last thing you want to do is make it impossible to repair or replace the HVAC system without ripping walls and ceilings out.

I'm seeing a lot of stuff here. There is a gas line, a hot and cold water line, some cat 5 cable, some high efficiency furnace pipes, some other DWV pipe and some other ducting and piping that is visible.

I would be hesitant to cover up or move any of this until someone qualified has a chance to look at it.

Keep in mind that HVAC systems have to be repaired on a regular basis and have to be replaced on an irregular basis. The last thing you want to do is make it impossible to repair or replace the HVAC system without ripping walls and ceilings out.

Furnace is 5 years old and is in great shape, so replacing it is not likely going to happen for a long time.
After the framing goes up, it might be a long while before the walls or ceiling get covered up.
Cat 5 is for our cable tv. I can move it out of the way.

Back