framing a shed

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
I plan to build a 4'x8' shed for my camp. I plan to have the height at the door at 8' and at the other end at 6'. Hopefully that will reduce the snow load.

I plan to build the walls and roof structure out of 2x4s, with 3/8 sheeting (it is the cheapest)

My question is about stud spacing. What is the furthest I could space the studs to give me the least amount of studs needed, yet still have it reasonably structurally sound?

A 2' drop over 8' will still hold snow. There's not enough slope to shed the load. Frame up some simple trusses and create a proper pitch. This will shed snow and water.

A 2' drop over 8' will still hold snow. There's not enough slope to shed the load. Frame up some simple trusses and create a proper pitch. This will shed snow and water.

I know it will hold snow, but it is better than the flat roof of my trailer beside it. The worst I have seen on it was 4' of snow.

2X4's are to lite for the span. 2X6's @ 24"OC. will span 8'8" with a 15psf load, which will not account for snow load. Besides which you need to star thinking in the terms of 1/2" or greater OSB.

What will the wall structure be composed of?

2X4's are to lite for the span. 2X6's @ 24"OC. will span 8'8" with a 15psf load, which will not account for snow load. Besides which you need to star thinking in the terms of 1/2" or greater OSB.

What will the wall structure be composed of?

The span is only 4 feet.

I plan to use plywood, likely 3/8, not OSB

So the width, not the length slopes 2'.

Then use at least 1/2" CDX with the rafters @16"OC.

So the width, not the length slopes 2'.

Then use at least 1/2" CDX with the rafters @16"OC.

The door is at the end, on the side that is 4 feet wide. That will be the high side. It will be 8 feet high. The shed will be 8 feet long. On the other 4 foot side, the wall will be 6 feet high. My rafters will be 4 feet long and go from one 8 foot wall to the other 8 foot wall.

Makes sense?

No, because your rafters cross the 4' width which diminishes in height 2' over the 8' length.

Same rafter spacing and same 1/2" sheating.

So, what is the composition of the walls?

No, because your rafters cross the 4' width which diminishes in height 2' over the 8' length.

Same rafter spacing and same 1/2" sheating.

So, what is the composition of the walls?

That is what I am trying to figure out. I plan to use 2x4s I plan to use osb or plywood.

OSB is water resistant.

Plywood is not.

2X4's 16"OC, or 24"OC, 1/2" OSB, 3/8"PLYSCORE, 5/8" T-111?

OSB is water resistant.

Plywood is not.

2X4's 16"OC, or 24"OC, 1/2" OSB, 3/8"PLYSCORE, 5/8" T-111?

I have no idea what that last line says.

The plywood will be painted. Over time, OSB does flake off. Plywood seems to last longer.

You will regret cheaping out on this from day one.
Can you at least post a picture of where you plan on building this?
No way would I use just 3/8 plywood!
Use at least Smartside panels.
Anything you use has to be at least 6" above grade or it's going to rot out.

I have no idea what that last line says.

The plywood will be painted. Over time, OSB does flake off. Plywood seems to last longer.

Framing occurs at a specific spacing, and is followed by interior and exterior products which are standardized for easily fit, in conjunction with those specific framing spacings, in application.

IE. 2X4 studs, in your application, are placed either 16"OC or 24"OC.

1/2"OSB, 3/8" plyscore and 5/8" T-111 are exterior sheating products, readily available.

All of which can be easily painted, and further protected from the influence of weather.

The reason you were asked about the wall composition, you've already received some advice regarding, was to broaden the conversation and possibly afford you knowledge that will add durability, as well as steer you away from throwing good money after bad.

The shed will be going to the right of the picnic table.

I need to haul everything in on a 30km bush road in the back of my truck. I am also hauling everything else I need to build this, and to enjoy my time there. That 30km road is after a 3 hour drive. Running to the local hardware store from there is at least a 2 hour adventure.

I have some framing nails for my air nailer left over from my garage build. I plan to use them to fasten everything I can.

The shed will be up on concrete blocks so that it will not rot.

If the sheeting/shed lasts 5-10 years, I am good with that. Eventually, I might build a bigger and better one. This is a long term temporary solution to an issue of outdoor storage.

My original question was about stud spacing, not about building it. I want to bring as little lumber as I can while still making sure it will withstand the snow load. My truck is only legal for so much weight. Thicker wood, or even more wood if it is not required would mean I could be overweight and could get finned. delivery for materials out there is not reasonable. Multiple loads is also not reasonable.

Sounds like 24'' OC is the way to go.

Attachments

• camp.jpg
    camp.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 5
7/16 OSB for everything that will be covered with roofing or siding. As there will be only 4 rafters go with 2x8s 16 inch OC the wall studs can be 24Inch on center if you use double top plates.
Leave your rafters sticking out 1 foot front and back but cut the sticking out part down to look like 2x4s
Add a 2x4 liner or fascia front and back and leave them sticking out 1 ft on both sides and then add another 2x4 rafter out there.

Latest posts

Back