Full Tiled Large Shower Upstairs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxHomeowner

Reaction score
In the near future we hope to replace our present bath tub with a custom tiled and glass enclosed large shower. Two potential issues have us concerned. This master bathroom suite is on the second floor. How do we determine if the subfloor structure will support custom tile and glass enclosure's weight? There is a very large glass block window iabove the present bath tub. Can this window remain in the new tiled shower?

Thank you

If you are going to have a window in a shower, glass block is about the best you can get, Of coarse that depends on past and future work.
The floor? You can usually get an idea of the height of the floor joists at the top of the stairs. From the ceiling below to the floor above, around 9" would mean 2x8 joists, around 11 inches would mean 2x10 joists.
Floor joists land on bearing walls or supported beams below, so you want to figure out which direction they are going and how far between the walls below.

I'd be more concerned with the replumbing that's going to be needed then what I think your worried about, the weight.
A shower needs a 2" drain, most tubs have 1-1/2.
Older home your likely going to be dealing with old steel supply's and cast iron or steel drains that will need to be replaced.

The weight of the tub, plus your weight, plus the weight of the water in the tub should equal something over 500lbs, all supported by the floor system, at present.

Depending upon the extent of the floor tile over the area of the room, plus the weight of the encl., I dought you will surpass that.

In the exact spot for the new shower is a tub. Butting up to the tub is a partition then an enclosed shower. All piping is PVC. The larger drain would be relocated. Now we feel confident enough to get estimates.

Many thanks.

Latest posts

Back