garage cabinets placement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractng

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought 3 of these cabinets from Sears.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-32in...es&storeId=10153&catalogId=12605&loginModal=Y

The inside of my garage, the foundation is 5.5 inches higher than the floor. The edge of the foundation is 2 inches wide of free space (drywall sits 2 inches in, called stem wall).

Any idea how I can place my cabinets? I want it to sit flush against the drywall. I am thinking the back feet sits on the foundation edge. The front feet, I will just go to the HD/lowes and get me threaded rod and cut to correct length (with the nut as a base). Then screw the back of the cabinet into the stud. Or I can build a box to raise it up?

TIA,
tntrac

Last edited:
Either way will work. Optionally, find the wall studs and drill though the back of the cabinet and hang them on the wall with some course thread lag bolts and a suitable washer on the head of the bolt. At least three bolts per stud (top, middle & bottom) with a minimum of two studs.

I like the custom threaded rod approach with a foot. You should attach the cabinets to the studs but I doubt you really need lag bolts (a bit of overkill). This maximizes your floor area and allows some storage under the cabinets.

Not overkill if you HANG them on the wall with only the back side resting on the foundation edge. Also, if you want to get the off the floor, it wouldn't be overkill but, then necessary.

Back