garage door strut

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyetroy

Reaction score
My truck is too long to fit in my garage due to it hitting the bottom strut when the garage door shuts. Can I replace the 2" strut with a 1" angle iron or even a steel flat bar? I plan on moving the existing strut up one panel and adding as many flat bar or angle iron pieces I need to gain 1-2" of space while maintaining the same support.

It's a 16' door and I see Lowes & Home Depot carry 8' pieces in either the flat bar or angle iron. I'd prefer adding the flat bar since it will only stick out 1/4" or whatever the thickness would be. I would think adding 2 or 3 of these pieces would provide the same support as one strut does currently......but need some reassurance from others.

Welcome to Garage Retreat Troy! Can you post a pic of the strut you are talking about?

Sorry, not at home to get pics but it's your normal garage door strut - runs length of door (16') and sticks out two inches. By removing and reinforcing with flat bar or angle iron, I think I can gain 1-1.5" which is about all I need to get truck in garage.

What about getting a 16' piece of 1/4" flat stock aluminum to reduce weight and still maintain support?

That would be ideal for me........would adding a couple pieces act the same as the old strut? I feel like adding a couple pieces would be more than adequate but I have no experience so appreciate the suggestions1

I would think the 1/4" flat stock would be strong enough, only worry would be is that ir flexes and the original does not.

Jonny....just couldn't help yourself could ya....bad Jonny!

the purpose of the strut is to keep the door from flexing and pulling the wheels out of the hinges. I think flat stock would be to flexible over that length but 1 inch angle iron would work I believe.

Back