General Cost?

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by ffisher, Jul 14, 2012.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Jul 14, 2012 #1

ffisher

ffisher

ffisher

I am looking to install an inground pool in my backyard. I have been saving up for a long time and I'm ready to start the process. As far as the basic over view how much have you guys paid for something like this?

2. Jul 14, 2012 #2

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

It's like buying a car or guessing how long a string is. A better solution would be call some companies that install pools in your area and get quotes. Concrete/liner, size/shape, are you going with a salt water system, what about decking, access to back yard for excavation, trees in the area...I'm sure theres a lot I missed.

3. Aug 23, 2012 #3

toofast

toofast

toofast

I'll try to help a bit...so I was given this number by a few folks locally. $1,000 per ft. So a 20 ft long pool (assuming not 20 ft wide of course) would be roughly $20K.

Includes install, basic pump, 4ft of concrete around pool, NO COVER. Nothing fancy...just a basic install...and then of course it goes up from there. I've tested this with a few local companies, and all were close.

This is assuming a fiberglass pool.

4. Apr 3, 2013 #4

dennyloren

dennyloren

dennyloren

Owing a pool sounds great, i wish i had much space in the backyard....

5. Apr 3, 2013 #5

joecaption

joecaption

joecaption

Sounds great until you figure out all the real cost to maintain one, and the liability involved.

nealtw likes this.
  6. Apr 4, 2013 #6

drewdin

drewdin

drewdin

18x36x10' deep gunite pool ~50k

7. Apr 4, 2013 #7

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

Up here, when you sell a house with a pool you have to discount it so the pool can be removed.

8. Apr 4, 2013 #8

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Fixer Upper Staff Member Admin Moderator

Same here nealtw. My friend just had his house up for sale for two years with a few nibbles and they all asked how much to get rid of the pool. He drained it and filled it in and planted grass and the house sold.

Not that a pool isn’t a great thing if you want one but resale could be hampered.

I have looked at the one piece fiberglass pools that they bring and set in the ground with a rig. I was told they are so smooth they don’t require as much chemicals to maintain. Can’t remember the cost comparison now though.

9. Apr 4, 2013 #9

drewdin

drewdin

drewdin

its illegal to fill in pools in my city, you have to have them removed which is big money. unless it is an above ground