Glue only for deck

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarrenC

Reaction score
I am building a deck and am going to use cedar 2x4's in a checkerboard pattern. The deck is covered. I came across a post somewhere on the internet where a builder has only used glue to attach his decking, and a few toe nails to keep things in place.

Would glue (a construction adhesive) work without mechanical fasteners? I am from Canada, so I would be subject to freeze/thaw cycles.

What is everyone's opinion?

Check out www.evolution-deck.com, which is made from galvanized steel with granite stone - our house is featured. This cost us about 25% more than a composite deck installed. Regardless of brand, a wood or composite deck requires maintenance, deteriorates, and doesn't last more than 15 years. Evolutiondeck provides a true 30-year warranty, doesn't require maintenance and it adds to the resale value of our home! We saw this as a worthwhile investment. Made in Canada!

In your situation, I would vote against 'glue only'. Without mechanical fastening, warping will snap the glue and possibly the wood itself (especially in cold climates).

If you ask me, 'glue only' is a cheapo way of doing it, labor-wise. I would both glue and screw. The glue will help lower wood squeek.

Take Ed's Advice: Add decking to a neglected corner of your garden for the best results.

My experience is to use high quality wood glue and epoxy is expensive and difficult to work with although I found it works well for bonding aluminum to wood.

I'm so glad to have found this forum - I know this post is kind of unrelated but it is great to have a place to turn to where someone might already have answered my questions without me asking them!

Back