Grid on fence for climbing roses

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaureenK

Reaction score
I plan to glue spacers (depth of 3.5") cut from treated wood to the 3 horizontal rails on my stockade fence (will do 3-8' sections). Then my son will drive 5"x1/4" lag eye screws into those plus on the posts as well. Plan is to then thread wire across and down to form a grid. The posts are 5" from the fence pickets; the rails are 1.5" from them. Adding spacers will allow wires to all be 5" from fence pickets.

I bought Loctite PL Premium Polyurethane Construction Adhevise to glue the spacers to the rails.

Question: When my son gets here to put in the screws, will that dislodge the spacers? I thought of having someone put in the screws first but fear that will make the spacers to heavy and the glue won't hold (no way to clamp). Any thoughts here?

I want to have the spacers glued (once temp is warm enough) so that my son can put in screws and thread the wire at the same time. He has to drive in from Worth, IL to Chesterton, IN to do this.

Thanks.

I can not figure out how to screw in a 3 1/2" piece of wood to one with a depth of 1 1/2".

Screw a 2x2 to the fence and screw your 2x4 to that, like an "L" shape or screw thru from other side.

Latest posts

Back