Ground Wire Ring Terminals on Ceiling Fan

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMMU

Reaction score
I'm installing a ceiling fan, but am unsure about 2 ground wires with ring terminals. The wire ends connect with the bare copper ground from the bracket but I'm not sure if the ring terminals are supposed to connect directly onto the fan. Any info would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG-2062.JPG
    IMG-2062.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-2061.JPG
    IMG-2061.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 5
Well I admittedly started this last night at the end of a long day. I think some fresh eyes and a cup of coffee helped. Took another look at the fan and there's a threaded hole on the mounting rod with paint chipped away in the same pattern as the terminal teeth so I imagine this is where the fan was grounded. I've attached another picture, but if anyone wants to chip in to confirm my suspicions before I close the breaker that would be great!

Attachments

• IMG-4316.JPG
    IMG-4316.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 4
I'm surprised the ring terminals weren't already terminated onto the metal body of the fan. Was this a used fan? Basically you want the metal parts electrically bonded together so that if a hot wire comes in contact with the metal housing the breaker would trip so you don't have an energized metal housing and a shock hazard.

I'm surprised the ring terminals weren't already terminated onto the metal body of the fan. Was this a used fan? Basically you want the metal parts electrically bonded together so that if a hot wire comes in contact with the metal housing the breaker would trip so you don't have an energized metal housing and a shock hazard.

Thanks for your reply. It was previously in a different room and long story short I'm installing it temporarily until we get a new fan so I can close the breaker and have working lights again. But that's what I figured, I've got it screwed into the metal rod in the third picture and connected to the ground wires from the junction box bracket as shown in the first 2 pictures. I don't know why I missed the screw hole in the rod last night. So in the end I've got hot-hot, neutral-neutral, red-blue (fan has a light), and 2 grounds on fan rod-ground from bracket.

One ground on the fan enclosure is plenty. I wouldn't take it down to remove the extra though. The fan should be grounded, as should the box if metal. All the metal items need to be electrically bonded together and connected to the bare or green wire from the supply.

Back