Gutter Question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott L.

Reaction score
Im gonna have to have my gutters, facia, and soffit replaced. The bottom of the plywood under the shingles next to the gutters is starting to rot a bit. A contractor that gave me a bid to replace says I need to replace the plywood. A carpenter friend said to just use some flashing/drip edge to cover the rotting part and replace the plywood when I need new shingles. Any thoughts?

No one any place can see what your seeing without being there or at least some pictures.
No location in your profile so no idea if there should have been Storm and ice shield on the lower ends of the roof.
Just a guess but if it took out all that sounds like classic signs of Ice dam damage which is a much bigger issue having to deal having to deal with items like lack of insulation, air sealing the attic, soffit and roof venting, adding baffles for air flow to the roof vents.
https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=home_sealing.hm_improvement_insulation_table
Putting off the real issues and this is going to cost far more to repair in the future.
Once the rafters start to rot there not going to hold all the new work being done and it's going to have to be done all over again.

Latest posts

Back