Hard-wiring in-wall fireplace

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny186

Reaction score
i have an electric fireplace that is corded and gets mounted within wall studs. There is a nearby outlet I'm going to tap into for power but I don't know how to deal with the cord. It has a 3 pronged plug. Is it possible to simply cut off the plug and run the coated wire into the electrical box and attach the ground wire to the box?

I don’t think that would be to code. You can shorten the cord maybe pulling the extra inside the unit even. I would make the opening the right width but longer so an outlet could be mounted below the unit and then plug it in. maybe even turn the box 90 degree so the plug would not be sticking out.

If you could post a pic of the unit and the wall we could see better what you got.

It's meant to be plugged into an outlet but there is no room behind the unit for an outlet because it's in a basement going up against the foundation and if I put the outlet to the side of the unit, within the framed out space, the cord will show.

After inspecting the back of the fireplace, I noticed a little cutout where the cord is and I might be able to notch out the bottom 2x4 it rests on and fit an outlet there so it's flush with the bottom surface. I may have solved my problem but I'll include a pic anyway.

p.jpg

fp.jpg

Doesn't seem right that a unit meant to be permanently installed would have a plug. What do the installation instructions and /or owners manual have to say about it?

The answer to post #1 is yes.

If you remove the cord and power it with romex it can also be powered from that recep, IE., 6 0f one, a half dozen of another.

Latest posts

Back