HELP? Exterior door box rot.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jargey99

Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking for advice on how to repair or replace a section of damp wood in my door box. ( see photo) Thanks.

IMG_6530.jpeg

Very common problem. I cut it out and replaced it with Azek cellular PVC.

I would use an oscillating saw to cut out the rotted section. Putting together the replacement pieces may require some milling with a table saw to get the profile just right. From the picture this door appears to have side lights on the other side of the rotted wood.

There are some wood hardeners you can use to handle this problem. You dig out the rot, and apply a sealer to the solid wood and then build it up to match the profile of existing jamb. I used this one a few months ago, though not on rot and it is holding up so far. This is a two part epoxy. It didn't have the sealant. Wood Epoxy

Here is another, I have no experience with. Wood Rot repair

Maybe now that the holiday is over, some regular posters will offer other insights. I know I wasn't in front of my computer much the past couple of days.

Remove the affected area and dry it thoroughly to prevent further moisture related issue. If there are areas where the wood appears to be soft but is still structurally sound, you can apply a wood hardener. Apply a wood filler to fill the gaps and cracks (if any). To protect the repaired or replaced section from future moisture damage, apply a wood preservative

Back