Help. Installing fence jump up a retaining wall?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diynonstop

Reaction score
Not sure how to make the elevation change with the fence.
Using 4 ft aluminum panel fence all around.
Fence will attach to house with a gate over side walk. Then it will need to jump up hillside and go behind the retaining wall. Not sure how to make the elevation change with the fence.
Retaining wall is 3 ½ foot tall.
Help Please!

pool.jpg

First, you need to check local code for fencing associated with a pool. In our area, it is 60" minimum plus a spring closure on the gate. If so, your 48" fencing might not be code and could be a liability in case of an accident. Pools are considered "attractive nuisances" which means you are ultimately responsible if your fence is too low.

I used your excellent pic to sketch out a solution (using a low fence design per your post). You can see how I ran the fence into your existing steps on the right (an inspector might comment on that positioning) and into the hill slope on the left. My idea is to run the fence into the retaining wall and starting the fence post (above it) from that point. From there, the fence sections sit inside the wall, approximately level at the same horizontal elevation into the backyard.

Odd, of course, because the height of the fence in back is HIGHER than the fence in front. Guess you don't want those pesky deer getting in your pool ...

How does this work for you?

GATE 1.jpg

Code states looking from the outside of the pool in the fence has to be 4 foot tall around the entire pool. So my understanding the hillside fence will need to be on an very steep angle or stepped up the hillside. Not sure how to accomplish that with the panels.
Your sort of right about the stair connection because it says the base of the deck would have to be closed off.

Your main problem is the sloping landscaping on the left side. Why not re-contour it away from the fence so it is 4' from ground level? Then the fence and wall would carry away into the backyard from there.

Just make sure the intersection of the lower fence and wall (and upper fence) is tight, so nobody can slip through.

CMV has the right idea but I would run the lower fence from the deck steps right along the patio profile and butt it against the retaining wall. Then run the upper fence the full length but extend it a couple of feet this side (outside) of the lower fence.

So basically you'll have a T arrangement with the 2 fences, one above the other. No need to run the lower fence up the hill.

Yes, I see that. Angle the fence back toward the pool, so it avoids the landscape slope and terminates against the block wall. Start the fence above the wall but in front of the lower fence to prevent climbing problems. You would meet code and no parallelogram fencing required.

Two brains are better than one!

Wizard-of-Oz-Scarecrow.jpeg

Thanks for the advice.
Fence installation has started. Here is how it looks so far. Still have to install the rest of the fence, pool code gate and close in around the bottom of the deck.

20140714_1942162.jpg

Back