Help with dimming lights in house.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks OK with plenty of bonding/grounding going on... just more than seen in older boxes...

I am still not comfortable with seeing the feed to this so called main panel with 4 conductors coming directly from the meter.

What does the printing on this four conductor feed sheathing say? Don't look on the individual wires but on the cable sheathing for this printing.

I also see a green conductor on the top right side bar. Is this the ground wire going to the ground rod? If not where is this ground wire coming from/going to?

Looks OK with plenty of bonding/grounding going on... just more than seen in older boxes...

That's kind of a general statement. A box can have a lot of visual, "what-seems-to-be grounding", in it but it does not mean the grounding is done properly to provide the proper safety factors for both the system and personnel.

Last edited:

I am still not comfortable with seeing the feed to this so called main panel with 4 conductors coming directly from the meter.

What does the printing on this four conductor feed sheathing say? Don't look on the individual wires but on the cable sheathing for this printing.

I also see a green conductor on the top right side bar. Is this the ground wire going to the ground rod? If not where is this ground wire coming from/going to?

That's kind of a general statement. A box can have a lot of visual, "what-seems-to-be grounding", in it but it does not mean the grounding is done properly to provide the proper safety factors for both the system and personnel.

Look at the photo of the meter. You will see they ran the earth ground under the siding and attached it to the masthead conduit above the meter by the looks of it.

Since it was installed by a licenced electrician and the meter tray is sealed we can only assume that it was properly grounded. I think we can assume that the three conductors are properly connected to the meter lugs. So the question becomes what does the concentric ground connect? We will never know since the meter end cannot be seen. I suspect the green wire goes to the new ground rod (the OP can confirm this). Whether or not the concentric ground of the incoming cable merely connects enclosures or connects to an original ground rod we cannot determine. However the system appears to be adequately grounded.

Now I see the green wire above the meter. Thanks Bud, these old eyes just could not see it.
However I do not believe that is the ground for the ground rods or the ground coming into the breaker panel - or any part of the electrical system. The ground clamp on the conduit with the tag on it looks something like what a phone company or cable company would use to ground their system. I have not seen an electrician place a tag like that on a ground wire. Also, if this was supposed to be the ground for the electrical system why is it installed like that?

Something still does not smell Kosher. Why is there a 4 conductor cable running to what the OP considers there main panel?

I think only the OP can clear this mystery up.

papakevin
Do you have city water or a well? Also if you have city water I am assuming the pipe is copper.
Where does that green conductor go and by chance does it connect to you incoming water system.

Getting back to the dimming issue · · · I happened to be vacuuming in a bathroom today. When turning the vac on I saw just a slight flicker of LED lights. I dimmed them some, turned on the vac and they went out. I turned off the vac and they just came on with a blue glow. This doesn't prove anything as I have 200A service and I think my receptacles and lighting are on separate breakers about 60 ft from the breaker panel.

I dimmed them some, turned on the vac and they went out. I turned off the vac and they just came on with a blue glow.
Looks like you or the power company need a test meter to check the voltage. Maybe you have a partial short or other power drain somewheres, failing power company transformer, or there are too many customers on one transformer.

When I have a shop vac connected to a newly installed circuit and turn it on, it will dim the lights in the house, which are on an old separate existing circuit.
I assume this is a 120 volt vacuum... what is the HP / amperage rating? Guess should have asked that first...

Correct, it was a standard shop vac.
It’s also doing it with the dryer, which is connected to a new breaker in the new breaker box via new wiring. It’s so odd. Have no idea what is causing this issue, but it is concerning. Attaching a video for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_8116.MOV
    19.1 MB
"Clothes dryers use quite a bit energy because they need to spin and produce heat. The energy use of a dryer varies between 1800 watts and 5000 watts, a typical dryer will use around 3000 watts."
-Energy Use Calculator...
My computer can't play that video.

Shows the transition of the dimming.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 09.27.32.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 09.27.32.png
    82.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 09.24.22.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 09.24.22.png
    129.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 09.21.23.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 09.21.23.png
    134.3 KB · Views: 0
Something is drawing the voltage down and if you placed a meter on the line and watched the voltage when you placed the heavy load you would see it drop is what I think. There should be a slight drop but nothing like what you are seeing IMO.

I think someplace in the main circuit path you have likely a poor connection that is acting as a high resistance during the surge.

It might be something to call in some pros on or call back the company that did the panel as that’s when the problem started.

Here's what I would do with a helper to turn the vac on/off and using an analog meter;

1. See how much the momentary voltage drop is for;
a) Black to Red feed at main lugs
b) Black to White feed at main lug and neutral lug
c) Red to White feed at main lug and neutral lug

2. See how much the momentary voltage drop is for;
a) Left rail to right rail
b) Left rail to bonded neutral/ground
c) Right rail to bonded neutral/ground

Compare results for 1. and 2. if there's a significant difference the problem is in the panel or main breaker. If no difference then the problem is in the feed.

Latest posts

Back