Help with floating wall and rotten beams

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papakevin

Reaction score
Well, working on a flip house with a sagging floor and the situation is really bad. The wall between the kitchen and the bath has zero support and the three main beams in the kitchen have rot. I’m planning on sistering on new 2x8’s to the three bad beams but what is the best way to solve for the floating wall? As you can see, the main plumbing stack is right in the middle. Also all the existing wood in the wall at the bottom is rotten as well. The wall is plaster so assuming that’s what is actually holding it up. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• D4D4E4BE-23E1-49E3-946D-3C0539B83685.jpeg
    D4D4E4BE-23E1-49E3-946D-3C0539B83685.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 2881C397-2345-460A-BACB-25FE9A24E0E4.jpeg
    2881C397-2345-460A-BACB-25FE9A24E0E4.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 9C487C2F-B9AB-4028-8464-348A277BDED6.jpeg
    9C487C2F-B9AB-4028-8464-348A277BDED6.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 6
  • CF69E4EB-7AF0-4CCB-ACBD-27F561BA821A.jpeg
    CF69E4EB-7AF0-4CCB-ACBD-27F561BA821A.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 6
By floating wall, you mean there is no floor joist beneath it, right? I suppose you could try to cram some boards under as much as possible. You'll have to make a box joining to the nearest joist to support for where the cutout is for plumbing I think.
I'm no pro so this is just guesswork on my part. My friend had a similar situation. He had to remove all of the joists and replace them, but he had a situation where the joists were completely rotten all the way through. If the wall is not load-bearing, you may need to take it out and re-build it on top of joists once you fix the floor up. If it is load-bearing, you will need to use jacks to support the load above. If the wall is running parallel to the joists it is likely not load-bearing. If it is running perpendicular it is more likely to be loadbearing.

I did nothing but work on 100 plus year old houses for well over 15 years.
#1, I'd take one look at this and know to do this right I'd be planning on redoing all that old plumbing, the supply lines should have been run up into the walls, not the floor, that old cast iron looks ln sad shape.
#2, There should have been a vapor barrier on the ground, that's likely what may have caused the issue.
#3, Any rotted floor joist should be cut out and replaced.

#1, I'd take one look at this and know to do this right I'd be planning on redoing all that old plumbing, the supply lines should have been run up into the walls, not the floor, that old cast iron looks ln sad shape.
#2, There should have been a vapor barrier on the ground, that's likely what may have caused the issue.

Thanks for the info. Agree with all you’ve suggested. Need a vapor barrier and to keep water out of the crawl space. That’s part of the issue as well.

Back