Help with old Craftsman opener and HomeLink

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imported_TonyG

Reaction score
I have an ancient garage door opener, Craftsman 139.653000. The reciever is located in the push button unit, not the motor housing. I am guessing it is 30+ years old. The door works fine with the wall push button but the remote
will only work if it is in very close proximity to the button/reciever. (4 feet even with fresh battery). I now have a brand new car with HomeLink (2017 Audi A4)
After proceeding through the setup instructions, the car says it has captured the remote code but when I push the cars HomeLink button , nothing happens.
This is pretty much what happened with my previous car ( 2011 Hyundai Azera with HomeLink). It seems like the reciever is so insensitive, it just cant pick up any remote signal unless it's extremely close. Sears does not make a replacement part for the unit, it is too old.
My question is this: why cant I replace the 2 wire wall button/reciever, with a new universal reciever by another mfg? Any suggestions for a remedy and or mfg and model # would be hugely appreciated.

No joke here. I will ask my grandfather what he does on his. He has a 1967 Craftsman opener that is original to his home and it gets used daily, his push buttons are from the 90's or 00's but im sure it is like yours as nothing is built into his unit. I'll give him a call tonight and ask him.

Thanks Chris, I did come across that unit in my searching online.
I was a bit hesitant because of the mixed reviews, especially regarding range. Just to clarify, my unit does have a remote that is original to the unit. Supposedly it's digital? One can only imagine what kind of digital technology it used 30+ years ago. There is no antenae in the reciever/wall button unit.

Latest posts

Back