Hoisting Evaporator Coil a couple of inches

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvc714

Reaction score
I have a drain pan under a Comfort Maker horizontal evaporator coil.

The drain pan is completely rusted out and I would like to replace it. The space around it is very limited.

What is the best way to hoist up the evaporator coil a couple of inches so I can place the new drain pan under it before putting it back down?

I was thinking of placing a piece of 2x4 under one end and putting a car jack under it.

I was wondering if there are areas of the casing that is strong enough to take the weight of the evaporator coil without damaging the casing similar to jacking points in a car.

My evaporator coil looks similar to this one.

https://files.comfortmaker.com/comfortmaker/en/us/contentimages/ENH4X.jpg

Thanks in advance.

I have never done it maybe some of the pros will be along to help.

Generally if a unit has any threaded lifting holes they are in the area of greatest strength. If you could bolt a block to one of those locations and then jack against that might be an idea.

Thanks Bud. I will have to climb up into the crawl space to look at it again to see if there are threaded lifting holes or not.

I am hoping the temperature dies down a bit as it is probably 140+ up there at this time of the year.

Any other information is much appreciated.

Thank you.

I went up to the attic and noticed that the evaporator coil is connected to the heating/blower on one side an suspended by a metal strap on the other side.

It was not elegant but I bent the sides down on the new drain pan and place it under as a temporary fix until we put in a new AC unit.

Thanks for the help.

I replaced a pan under a unit one time by folding up three sides, slide the open end under the unit by just lifting it enough to get the flat sheet under it. Then folded the remaining side up and soldered the corners.

Back