Hot water heater trips breaker

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raindem

Reaction score
Our Kenmore electric hot water heater trips the breaker on HWH itself (not the fuse panel). I push the little red button to reset it and we're back in business.

This happens about once per month. It's just my wife and I and our water usage is fairly low. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to when it trips. The unit is about 6 years old. Otherwise it works fine.

Is there a specific repairable cause for this behavior, or is it just a sign that the thing is getting old?

Thanks

Curt

Has it always done this or is this something new?
It could be as simple as a loose wire causing it.
If it was me I'd start at the panel and work my way to the heater checking the breaker screws, the thermostat and the elimiments.
If it still trips changing the the thermostat is a simple, cheap DIY job, just make sure to kill the breaker and test with a real volt / OHM meter to make sure the powers off.

Thanks for the reply. It started about 6 months ago. I'll check all the connections. Just curious if this is something common with failing HWH's.

I would look at the Tstat. One element should be on at a time, It trips when two come on at a time.

Back